How to deal with gamma

  • maziek
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 7, 2012
      ?

      How this feature should be used?

      --
      best, maziek
    • sirko@molau.de
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 7, 2012
        Hi Maziek,

        please check what gamma setting your camera has (if it has one :). If it
        is set to a value != 1.0, you should use the correct gamma setting in
        RefStars / MetRec to improve photometry.

        Best,
        Sirko

        * Sirko Molau * *
        * Abenstalstr. 13b * __ *
        * D-84072 Seysdorf * " 2B v 2B " *
        * Germany * *
        * phone: +49-8752-869437 * Shakespeare *
        * email: sirko@... * *
        * www : www.molau.de * *

        Am 07.09.2012 19:44, schrieb maziek:

        > ?
        >
        > How this feature should be used?
        >
        > --
        > best, maziek

      • maziek
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 21, 2012
          It looks meteor brightness is not correct on pav36. I noticed some time ago, that typically meteors on pav36 were brighter than on pav35 or pav43. It shouldn't be like this (pav36 catches as much meteors as both other cameras together - so it should catch more weak ones). Now Berkó Erno wrote me pav36 meteors brightnes is irreal. I tried to do sth with gamma at last. Pav36 camera has gamma set to 0.45. I tried to manually change this value in ref file but it looks efects are opposite. Meteors are even more unreal ;) . So perhaps I must do the new ref file with this value set in the beginning?

          --
          best, maziek

          2012/9/7 sirko@... <sirko@...>
          Hi Maziek,

          please check what gamma setting your camera has (if it has one :). If it
          is set to a value != 1.0, you should use the correct gamma setting in
          RefStars / MetRec to improve photometry.

          Best,
          Sirko

          *   Sirko Molau                 *                          *
          *   Abenstalstr. 13b            *              __          *
          *   D-84072 Seysdorf            *       " 2B v 2B "        *
          *   Germany                     *                          *
          *   phone: +49-8752-869437      *             Shakespeare  *
          *   email: sirko@...       *                          *
          *   www  : www.molau.de         *                          *

          Am 07.09.2012 19:44, schrieb maziek:

          > ?
          >
          > How this feature should be used?
          >
          > --
          > best, maziek

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              metrec-digest@yahoogroups.com
              metrec-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • sirko@molau.de
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 26, 2012
            Hi Maziek,

            I have been working on this topic in the last few days. It seems that
            two values are critical:

            * under certain circumstances the nominal lm is estimated ways to bad
            (in particular when reference stars are measured automatically), which
            has a serious impact on both lm calculation and meteor brightness
            * it is also fatal if you use a ref file from a night which was partly
            clouded.

            I have implemented some counter-measures which will hopefully improve
            the situation, but they still need to be tested and it has been
            completely overcasted here for the last two weeks. :(
            So don't expect a new beta in the next few days.

            In the meantime, you should measure a new reference image with RefStars
            (using the correct gamma values) and then take the ref file from the
            next really clear night. That should help.

            Best wishes,

            Am 21.11.2012 16:43, schrieb maziek:

            > It looks meteor brightness is not correct on pav36. I noticed some time
            > ago, that typically meteors on pav36 were brighter than on pav35 or
            > pav43. It shouldn't be like this (pav36 catches as much meteors as both
            > other cameras together - so it should catch more weak ones). Now Berkó
            > Erno wrote me pav36 meteors brightnes is irreal. I tried to do sth with
            > gamma at last. Pav36 camera has gamma set to 0.45. I tried to manually
            > change this value in ref file but it looks efects are opposite. Meteors
            > are even more unreal ;) . So perhaps I must do the new ref file with
            > this value set in the beginning?
            >
            > --
            > best, maziek
            >
            > 2012/9/7 sirko@... <mailto:sirko@...> <sirko@...
            > <mailto:sirko@...>>
            >
            > Hi Maziek,
            >
            > please check what gamma setting your camera has (if it has one :). If it
            > is set to a value != 1.0, you should use the correct gamma setting in
            > RefStars / MetRec to improve photometry.
            >
            > Best,
            > Sirko
            >
            > --
            > * Sirko Molau * *
            > * Abenstalstr. 13b * __ *
            > * D-84072 Seysdorf * " 2B v 2B " *
            > * Germany * *
            > * phone: +49-8752-869437 * Shakespeare *
            > * email: sirko@... <mailto:sirko@...> *
            > *
            > * www : www.molau.de <http://www.molau.de> *
            > *
            >
            > Am 07.09.2012 19:44, schrieb maziek:
            > >

            > > ?
            > >
            > > How this feature should be used?
            > >
            > > --
            > > best, maziek

            > Groups Links
            >

            > <mailto:metrec-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com>

          • maziek
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 27, 2012
              2012/11/27 sirko@... <sirko@...>

              In the meantime, you should measure a new reference image with RefStars
              (using the correct gamma values) and then take the ref file from the
              next really clear night.

              Yeah. My kingdom for a clear night ;) ...

              --
              best, maziek
            • nz_observatory
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 29, 2012
                Hi.

                It's great to see you guys are still active. It will be good to know I will (hopefully!) have your help when I finally get my own system installed! :)