1012Re: [MetRec] How to deal with gamma

  • sirko@molau.de
    Nov 26, 2012
      Hi Maziek,

      I have been working on this topic in the last few days. It seems that
      two values are critical:

      * under certain circumstances the nominal lm is estimated ways to bad
      (in particular when reference stars are measured automatically), which
      has a serious impact on both lm calculation and meteor brightness
      * it is also fatal if you use a ref file from a night which was partly
      clouded.

      I have implemented some counter-measures which will hopefully improve
      the situation, but they still need to be tested and it has been
      completely overcasted here for the last two weeks. :(
      So don't expect a new beta in the next few days.

      In the meantime, you should measure a new reference image with RefStars
      (using the correct gamma values) and then take the ref file from the
      next really clear night. That should help.

      Best wishes,
      Sirko

      * Sirko Molau * *
      * Abenstalstr. 13b * __ *
      * D-84072 Seysdorf * " 2B v 2B " *
      * Germany * *
      * phone: +49-8752-869437 * Shakespeare *
      * email: sirko@... * *
      * www : www.molau.de * *

      Am 21.11.2012 16:43, schrieb maziek:

      > It looks meteor brightness is not correct on pav36. I noticed some time
      > ago, that typically meteors on pav36 were brighter than on pav35 or
      > pav43. It shouldn't be like this (pav36 catches as much meteors as both
      > other cameras together - so it should catch more weak ones). Now Berkó
      > Erno wrote me pav36 meteors brightnes is irreal. I tried to do sth with
      > gamma at last. Pav36 camera has gamma set to 0.45. I tried to manually
      > change this value in ref file but it looks efects are opposite. Meteors
      > are even more unreal ;) . So perhaps I must do the new ref file with
      > this value set in the beginning?
      >
      > --
      > best, maziek
      >
      > 2012/9/7 sirko@... <mailto:sirko@...> <sirko@...
      > <mailto:sirko@...>>
      >
      > Hi Maziek,
      >
      > please check what gamma setting your camera has (if it has one :). If it
      > is set to a value != 1.0, you should use the correct gamma setting in
      > RefStars / MetRec to improve photometry.
      >
      > Best,
      > Sirko
      >
      > --
      > * Sirko Molau * *
      > * Abenstalstr. 13b * __ *
      > * D-84072 Seysdorf * " 2B v 2B " *
      > * Germany * *
      > * phone: +49-8752-869437 * Shakespeare *
      > * email: sirko@... <mailto:sirko@...> *
      > *
      > * www : www.molau.de <http://www.molau.de> *
      > *