RE: [metis] Re: Maine's Metis Recognition Bill

  • Ken Nadreau
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 21, 2005
      Here's the problem Eddie . . .

      If we all work at getting state recognition, we'll all get free college tuition in our respective states. However, we'll also come under state regulation and we'll be forced into a position to recognize that state as an authority over us.

      The indian tribes of Maine found out the hard way that state recognition means a forfeiture of sovereignty. They have state reps who regulate tribal business now. Is that what we want? For what? Free college tuition in their community colleges?

      And to make matters worse, state recognition does not mean federal recognition. To get federal recognition a tribe or group has to prove that their people have inhabited a certain area for generations after generations. Carl's little group of 4 or 5 people have been there for only a couple of years. So there's no way he'll ever go beyond state recognition.

      However, if we all, as a united Federation of Metis Nations approached the UN, we can prove that the Metis have been here for generations after generations. It then becomes a continental inhabitance being that the metis have been in North America since 9 months after the first european contact.

      Once we get global recognition from the UN, the US federal government will be forced to recognize us by the terms set out between ourselves and the UN, not by their standards that they've leveled out over the indian.

      So it's good that you want to get busy, but it's better to get busy at something good :)

      And you know, Carl's right. All we've done is talked, and talked. But the reason why is because of people who'd rather do things for their own glory rather than expending their time to help the metis cause as a whole. We've spent more time trying to stop people from making huge mistakes then I care to relate. If we could have used that time, and the help from those going off half cocked for movement in the right direction, we'd have something really special by now.

      But instead we have people who complain that those who've laid the foundations haven't done anything to build it while they do things contrary instead of lending a hand.

      Oh well . . .

      Ken

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 21, 2005

        Carl,

             You and I have had a problem since day one. Somehow you got it in your head that the MNNE was trying to control what you were doing in Maine. That wasn't true. But soon after I helped you set up your local group, you went and joined other groups and began working with them instead of helping us build the MNNE.

             One of the stipulations in the MNNE constitution for the arrangement between the MNNE and its local groups is that all members of a local must also be members of the MNNE. You saw this as a control issue, and in a way you were right. But the control isn't about us controlling you, it's more about the "purity" issue for the nation.

             If we (meaning all the local groups together), as a Metis nation in New England are to comply with international law we must maintain that our membership is made up of metis people and be able to prove it. If and when the time comes for us to seek global recognition through a Federation of Metis Nations, we'll be scrutinized by those reaching a decision. They'll want to know who our population is made up of and whether we are what we say we are . . . a federation of metis people.

           So it becomes imperative that we maintain a valid role of citizens to show this. We need to show that all the nations within the federation are metis and that all the locals within each nation are metis. Thus in order for a group to fall under the umbrella of a metis nation, each member of that local needs to be registered with the nation.

           However, Peter and I have many times had to remind you of this. And every time we did, you got angry and accused us of trying to control you.

           Here's the thing . . .

           If you want to be self governing, then be so. If you want to keep your membership private and not have your members be MNNE members as well, then do so. But your group can't be considered part of the MNNE if you do. The MNNE wants UN recognition for the people and needs to follow international law to comply and qualify to be an active member of the Federation of Metis Nations. So the MNNE can only recognize metis locals who wish to fall under our umbrella and comply as well.

          This is an organization issue, not a control issue. If you choose not to be a part of the organization that complies with international law and be a part of a member nation of the Federation of Metis Nations, then that's your choice. But in doing so, you won't be in line to reap any of the benefits.

           That's all we've ever said.

           Now as far as what you've said about running your Metis group without hurting anyone else . . .

           If you achieve state recognition as a metis group, you will in effect, be telling the world that the metis are willing to settle for it. It will make it extremely difficult to get the world to understand that this isn't what all of us want.

           You see, the world is more than willing to shove us all in a closet somewhere and not have to deal with us. If we settle for anything less than global recognition as a people, we'll be opening the closet door for them.

           So, because you claim to be a member group of the MNNE, you've put the rest of us in a precarious position. And you've also put yourself in one too. Here's why . . .

        1. By being a local of the MNNE and seeking state recognition for yourself, you bring into question the sovereignty of the MNNE. Because, as the local representative of the MNNE in Maine, you are stating that MNNE is seeking state recognition as well. Which isn't the case at all. The MNNE cannot lose its sovereign position under international law and still be effective in the cause.

        2. By seeking state recognition as a local of the MNNE, which you claim to be, you've acted without consensus of the rest of the locals which breaks down the MNNE and violates our constitution which you accepted as a local of the MNNE.

            So this brings us to a choice . . .

            Either you withdraw your petition for state recognition until you can get consensus from all of the locals of MNNE, or withdraw your membership from the MNNE as a local.

            I can assure you, as the president of the Pioneer Valley Metis Association, a legal local group of the MNNE, we will not vote in favor of such a petition for state recognition. We'll have to hear from the rest of the locals on this however.

            Now here's where the plot thickens . . .

            If you and your group choose to end your relationship with the MNNE and continue pursuing state recognition as a metis organization in New England, you are actually disrespecting the other local groups of the MNNE and thumbing your nose at the sovereignty of the MNNE as a whole. You will be saying that you do not recognize the other metis people in this region.

           So yes, you are hurting others in what you're doing. And that's why I came down on you with my "tirade" as you called it.

        Ken

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 21, 2005
          In a message dated 3/21/2005 11:13:56 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, Andahatey@... writes:
          you won't be in line to reap any of the benefits.
          What benefits?
           Carl
        • Aerodad22@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 21, 2005
            I and my family hereby resign from the Metis Nation in New England.
             Carl H Smith
             Casco Bay Metis
          • Ken Nadreau
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 21, 2005

              Way more than free college tuition I can assure you.

              Ken

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 21, 2005
                Ken Nadreau wrote:

                > Here's the problem Eddie . . .

                Ken,

                I have great respect for you for the work you have done for Metis
                everywhere. I am very grateful that you have taken the time to respond,
                and to share your thoughts and wisdom.

                Your Little Brother in TN,

                Eddie Haynes
                Metis, and proud to be!
              • Ken Nadreau
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 21, 2005

                  Eddie,

                  Thanks for being on the list and sharing your feelings.