Re: Gaia timescales

  • Pawnfart
    Message 1 of 702 , May 9 1:11 PM
      This is why Lindzen's discussion of iris as a
      negative feedback just tees me off. Ignorance! And he is
      the one with the President's ear! Unbelievable. Am I
      the only "scientist" in the world who understands
      that as you warm a conductor it carries a current less
      well? I mean, please! <br> <br>Certainly when you add
      insulation or cause resistance to the places of the counter
      current with downward vector where most of the upward
      electrical vector occurs and this changes feedbacks of
      precip, thereby enhancing them, there is going to be some
      kind of change in how the magnetic field is
      maintained. To what degree, I do not know. I think we run up
      against time scale evolutionary issues, because these
      flips of the magnetic field are not that frequent.
      Certainly they would fall under the category of chaotic
      stimulus, but the question is whether there is an evolved
      modulation. Further, even if there is an evolved modulation,
      is the evolved modulation ON TOP OF this stated
      modulation that would respond to the flip AND higher CO2
      from human emissions? This is a GOOD QUESTION.
      Understand, the known Gaia response to a neo glacial is that
      now sed rates flow from a glacier, so the conditions
      are dry and cold in absence of the warming feedback.
      OTOH, while the glaciers themselves are getting laid,
      the feedback is defective, in so far as instead of
      having more detritus flow from the land to the ocean
      from healthy methanogen activity, the water gets
      frozen and ocean levels drop and methane hydrate fields
      unform! If, on top of this defect (well, understanding
      that conditions move about, and methane hydrate fields
      must move, perhaps it isn't entirely a defect), we
      have put so much CO2 into the oceans from fossil fuels
      that the methanogen activity is greater than it would
      be but for our activity, the super storm will
      conceivably be larger, the mass unforming of the methane
      hydrate fields yet greater, then they would have been but
      for our cumulative conduct. The same sort of question
      can be asked about magnetic field reversal, in my
      view.
      Message 702 of 702 , Mar 1, 2002
        On Feb 28th, the Interplanetary Magnetic Field
        swung to a strong south-pointing orientation. That,
        coupled with an elevated solar wind speed and density,
        triggered a G-1 class geomagnetic storm. The result was
        some high latitude aurora. See this link for a
        photgraph of aurora observed over Quebec :
        namely 9839, 9842, and 9845, that appear to be capable
        of producing M-class flares. Regions 9839 and 9842
        are close to rotating out of view over the western
        limb of the solar disk. Sunspot region 9845, however,
        is close to the sun's central meridian. A rather
        large coronal hole is also approaching the sun's
        central meridian, and coming into an Earth-pointing
        position. High speed colar wind gusts are likely around the
        first of next week.<br><br>The current solar and
        geomagnetic conditions are :<br><br>NOAA sunspot number :
        wind speed : 372.3 km/sec<br>Solar wind density : 4.4
        the last 24 hours : <br>Solar activity was low. The
        geomagnetic field was quiet to unsettled. Stratwarm Alert
        exists Friday.<br><br>Forecast for the next 24 hours
        :<br>Solar activity will be low to moderate. The geomagnetic
        field will be quiet to unsettled.<br><br>Solar Activity
        Forecast :<br>Solar activity is expected to be low to
        moderate for the next three days. Region 9845 is a
        possible source for isolated M-class
        is expected to be mainly quiet to unsettled, until
        the onset of high speed stream effects from a
        recurrent coronal hole begin to develop by day three of the
        forecast period. Isolated active conditions are
        anticipated thereafter.<br><br>Recent significant solar flare
        activity :<br>None