Re: Florida TS history

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 12, 2002
      > No pattern here that I can see.

      Please let's go through them one at a time (the four from the last 10
      years) and I will explain what I mean. Which one came first?
    • fredwx
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 13, 2002
        The most recent year was 1991 which was labled as an el nino year.
        http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlantic/1991/index.html

        The next was 1980 (non el nino)
        http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlantic/1980/index.html

        Then 1977 (el nino)
        http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlantic/1977/index.html

        and the next was 1969 (el nino)
        http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlantic/1969/index.html

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 13, 2002
          Fred, I am not following you. Those are storms going back to 1969.
          What I am saying about Florida is given what has changed w/ Gaia over
          the past 10 years, especially between the time of Andrew and now,
          this data is misleading. For instance, given the Dr. Gray factors of
          Sahel rainfall and TS activity, here is a story that just came out
          and some comments about it (not that Cape Verde waves are important
          as far as a Andrew like storm, and Andrew was post Mt. Pinatubo, a
          SOx event that would drop phase change temps of cirrus).

          From this link:

          ><tt>David Roberts, the head of the aerosol modelling group at the
          Meteorological Office's Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction and
          Research, said: "It's an effect of the thermal balance between the
          two hemispheres. There has to be a rough balance between the north
          and south hemispheres – you can't have spare energy in one place or
          the other. If the Earth was completely symmetrical, then the point of
          thermal equilibrium, where the total energy on either side of a line
          was equal, would be the Equator. But because the Northern hemisphere
          isn't the same as the south [because of the vast energy reservoir of
          the Pacific, which retains energy more efficiently than land] we find
          that the Northern hemisphere is warmer than the South."</tt>

          ><TT>However, aerosol-driven cooling of the Northern hemisphere
          pushes that point of thermal equilibrium south – and with it go the
          rainclouds that people depend on for their crops in the Sahel. Dr
          Rotstayn and Professor Lohmann said that droughts have become less
          severe during the past few years. But that does not mean that they
          have disappeared. Far from it; the whole of southern Africa is facing
          a "regional food crisis", according to a recent report that notes
          that a total of six countries in southern Africa have roughly 11
          million people who need emergency food assistance. Ironically, the
          note came from the United States Agency for International
          Development.</tt>

          http://news.independent.co.uk/world/environment/story.jsp?story=304723

          My Comments:

          Wrong! SOx reduces phase change temperatures of cirrus but the
          bigger issue here is that hydro changes between the hemispheres AND
          Gaia issues w/ in Africa itself. Here are some examples:

          ><tt>There are three more conspicuous examples of the Movement's
          activities. The first example is traditional stone lines which are
          used to restore soil erosion. This is the product of cooperation
          between a western NGO and local peasants in the Naam group. Peter
          Wright, a project director of Oxfam discovered an excellent
          traditional water-conservation scheme when he was working with
          villagers, but he, at the same time, noticed that if these are
          aligned properly with the contour levels, they would work better
          (Wright and Bonkoungou, 1986: 79-86). Wright invented a cheap method
          to measure the contour by using a hosepipe, maximizing this schemes'
          effectiveness. Lines of stones ranged along the contour amazingly
          "increase infiltration, boost crop yields, reduce erosion, and are
          even capable of rehabilitating totally degraded land. [Moreover,] [t]
          he technique of making them is so cheap and simple that the stone
          lines are spreading with astonishing speed" (Harrison, 1989: 165).
          The Naam Movement disseminated the techniques widely, from neighbour
          to neighbour, from village to village. </tt>

          http://www.fao.org/waicent/faoinfo/sustdev/ROdirect/ROan0006.htm

          Another link:

          http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~anthro/courses/306/sahel-
          desertification.html

          And another on small dams, not to see the actual illness but to track
          how small dams were constructed and used and may end up actually
          being beneficial to Gaia:

          http://www.wisc.edu/epat/.pop-env/.schis/.format/.small-dams.html

          More Gaia stuff:

          http://www.cidob.org/Ingles/Publicaciones/Afers/45-46acreman.html

          It should be noted that with this dam building activity in Africa,
          and elsewhere, like the Orinoco, the tropical storm seasons, and
          other aspects of climate, have SHIFTED as hydrology is delayed. What
          we see as a drought in the SW is related to the same thing--living
          earth feedbacks to biological activity upstream. So, CO2 from fossil
          fuels has a very important Gaia context, and that context is
          essentially electrical and biological.

          Hence, when the Mississippi hydrology is maxed and when African dams
          have helped SHIFT the wave features, the cirrus warming of the N.
          Atlantic is DELAYED and this seems to have cooled the Carribean in
          June and the GOM by mid July, August. Hence, when there finally is,
          from the delays, electrical and SST ability to form a TS in the N.
          Atlantic, it is so late in the season that the only thing that stands
          to hit the US is something that is more cold core . . .

          Thus, the chance for a TS in the GOM is EARLY from the activity of
          the Mississippi and spring rains in its flood plain. This year,
          because of the drought in Florida (which is incidentally related to
          the same dams being discussed), when solar flaring did bring on the
          rains, years of biological material has flowed out into the oceans
          and Gaia has feedback, following the Black Algae, living conditions
          toward more hydrology. Parts of Florida have had 20" of rain in very
          short periods of time the past few weeks! That might not be a TS but
          it is Gaia.

          I think that for the next few weeks there remains a chance for a TS
          for Florida and if it hits, a small chance for a what I call back EMF
          storm for the Texas side of the GOM, but it is difficult to say on
          that, particularly w/ the conditions of the Colorado and CAP and the
          fires and drought and all of that--the poor hydrology on that side of
          the GOM.

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 13, 2002
            The years I sent are the most recent years that match the present
            pattern of SOI.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 13, 2002
              Oh. Cool.

              Well, this presents even a greater problem in that ocean temperatures
              in general are in my view warmer at this time than in the past 6,000
              years, based on this ENSO pattern we are seeing. Reason--the ocean
              conductivity is different than it was recently. That means that you
              can throw out recent TS data as not helpful. And that is why the
              recent SST anomalies combined with knowledge of the solar cycle and
              the Mt. Pinatubo event are so interesting to compare from this time
              to January-March 1997.

              The SOI is interesting only in the CONTEXT of SSTs and flaring/CMEs
              because it helps demostrate the cirrus cloud feedbacks . . . in my
              view they won't be that helpful as an artificial intelligence outside
              these other considerations.

              --- In methanehydrateclub@y..., fredwx <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > The years I sent are the most recent years that match the present
              > pattern of SOI.

            • fredwx
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 14, 2002
                Mike,
                Here is a link I found today that I think you might like to take a
                look at:
                http://www.esr.org/lagerloef/sfcV/sfcV.html