Florida TS history

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 12, 2002
      Fred,

      Because of the dams on the Orinoco, West Africa AND the very active
      Mississippi I don't think TS history is that helpful.
    • fredwx
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 12, 2002
        The historic record 1900-1996 shows 57 Hurricanes hitting Florida
        This is a 57% hit rate.

        During the 10 years sited as similar to the present (Regarding SOI)
        there were 4 hurricanes (hit rate of 40%)

        No pattern here that I can see.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 12, 2002
          > No pattern here that I can see.

          Please let's go through them one at a time (the four from the last 10
          years) and I will explain what I mean. Which one came first?
        • fredwx
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 13, 2002
            The most recent year was 1991 which was labled as an el nino year.
            http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlantic/1991/index.html

            The next was 1980 (non el nino)
            http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlantic/1980/index.html

            Then 1977 (el nino)
            http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlantic/1977/index.html

            and the next was 1969 (el nino)
            http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlantic/1969/index.html

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 13, 2002
              Fred, I am not following you. Those are storms going back to 1969.
              What I am saying about Florida is given what has changed w/ Gaia over
              the past 10 years, especially between the time of Andrew and now,
              this data is misleading. For instance, given the Dr. Gray factors of
              Sahel rainfall and TS activity, here is a story that just came out
              and some comments about it (not that Cape Verde waves are important
              as far as a Andrew like storm, and Andrew was post Mt. Pinatubo, a
              SOx event that would drop phase change temps of cirrus).

              From this link:

              ><tt>David Roberts, the head of the aerosol modelling group at the
              Meteorological Office's Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction and
              Research, said: "It's an effect of the thermal balance between the
              two hemispheres. There has to be a rough balance between the north
              and south hemispheres – you can't have spare energy in one place or
              the other. If the Earth was completely symmetrical, then the point of
              thermal equilibrium, where the total energy on either side of a line
              was equal, would be the Equator. But because the Northern hemisphere
              isn't the same as the south [because of the vast energy reservoir of
              the Pacific, which retains energy more efficiently than land] we find
              that the Northern hemisphere is warmer than the South."</tt>

              ><TT>However, aerosol-driven cooling of the Northern hemisphere
              pushes that point of thermal equilibrium south – and with it go the
              rainclouds that people depend on for their crops in the Sahel. Dr
              Rotstayn and Professor Lohmann said that droughts have become less
              severe during the past few years. But that does not mean that they
              have disappeared. Far from it; the whole of southern Africa is facing
              a "regional food crisis", according to a recent report that notes
              that a total of six countries in southern Africa have roughly 11
              million people who need emergency food assistance. Ironically, the
              note came from the United States Agency for International
              Development.</tt>

              http://news.independent.co.uk/world/environment/story.jsp?story=304723

              My Comments:

              Wrong! SOx reduces phase change temperatures of cirrus but the
              bigger issue here is that hydro changes between the hemispheres AND
              Gaia issues w/ in Africa itself. Here are some examples:

              ><tt>There are three more conspicuous examples of the Movement's
              activities. The first example is traditional stone lines which are
              used to restore soil erosion. This is the product of cooperation
              between a western NGO and local peasants in the Naam group. Peter
              Wright, a project director of Oxfam discovered an excellent
              traditional water-conservation scheme when he was working with
              villagers, but he, at the same time, noticed that if these are
              aligned properly with the contour levels, they would work better
              (Wright and Bonkoungou, 1986: 79-86). Wright invented a cheap method
              to measure the contour by using a hosepipe, maximizing this schemes'
              effectiveness. Lines of stones ranged along the contour amazingly
              "increase infiltration, boost crop yields, reduce erosion, and are
              even capable of rehabilitating totally degraded land. [Moreover,] [t]
              he technique of making them is so cheap and simple that the stone
              lines are spreading with astonishing speed" (Harrison, 1989: 165).
              The Naam Movement disseminated the techniques widely, from neighbour
              to neighbour, from village to village. </tt>

              http://www.fao.org/waicent/faoinfo/sustdev/ROdirect/ROan0006.htm

              Another link:

              http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~anthro/courses/306/sahel-
              desertification.html

              And another on small dams, not to see the actual illness but to track
              how small dams were constructed and used and may end up actually
              being beneficial to Gaia:

              http://www.wisc.edu/epat/.pop-env/.schis/.format/.small-dams.html

              More Gaia stuff:

              http://www.cidob.org/Ingles/Publicaciones/Afers/45-46acreman.html

              It should be noted that with this dam building activity in Africa,
              and elsewhere, like the Orinoco, the tropical storm seasons, and
              other aspects of climate, have SHIFTED as hydrology is delayed. What
              we see as a drought in the SW is related to the same thing--living
              earth feedbacks to biological activity upstream. So, CO2 from fossil
              fuels has a very important Gaia context, and that context is
              essentially electrical and biological.

              Hence, when the Mississippi hydrology is maxed and when African dams
              have helped SHIFT the wave features, the cirrus warming of the N.
              Atlantic is DELAYED and this seems to have cooled the Carribean in
              June and the GOM by mid July, August. Hence, when there finally is,
              from the delays, electrical and SST ability to form a TS in the N.
              Atlantic, it is so late in the season that the only thing that stands
              to hit the US is something that is more cold core . . .

              Thus, the chance for a TS in the GOM is EARLY from the activity of
              the Mississippi and spring rains in its flood plain. This year,
              because of the drought in Florida (which is incidentally related to
              the same dams being discussed), when solar flaring did bring on the
              rains, years of biological material has flowed out into the oceans
              and Gaia has feedback, following the Black Algae, living conditions
              toward more hydrology. Parts of Florida have had 20" of rain in very
              short periods of time the past few weeks! That might not be a TS but
              it is Gaia.

              I think that for the next few weeks there remains a chance for a TS
              for Florida and if it hits, a small chance for a what I call back EMF
              storm for the Texas side of the GOM, but it is difficult to say on
              that, particularly w/ the conditions of the Colorado and CAP and the
              fires and drought and all of that--the poor hydrology on that side of
              the GOM.

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 13, 2002
                The years I sent are the most recent years that match the present
                pattern of SOI.

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 13, 2002
                  Oh. Cool.

                  Well, this presents even a greater problem in that ocean temperatures
                  in general are in my view warmer at this time than in the past 6,000
                  years, based on this ENSO pattern we are seeing. Reason--the ocean
                  conductivity is different than it was recently. That means that you
                  can throw out recent TS data as not helpful. And that is why the
                  recent SST anomalies combined with knowledge of the solar cycle and
                  the Mt. Pinatubo event are so interesting to compare from this time
                  to January-March 1997.

                  The SOI is interesting only in the CONTEXT of SSTs and flaring/CMEs
                  because it helps demostrate the cirrus cloud feedbacks . . . in my
                  view they won't be that helpful as an artificial intelligence outside
                  these other considerations.

                  --- In methanehydrateclub@y..., fredwx <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > The years I sent are the most recent years that match the present
                  > pattern of SOI.

                • fredwx
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 14, 2002
                    Mike,
                    Here is a link I found today that I think you might like to take a
                    look at:
                    http://www.esr.org/lagerloef/sfcV/sfcV.html