SOI at postive 10

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 11, 2002
      continuing trend.

      This, Fred, would make it so that a Florida landfall is less likely,
      but at the same time seems like El Nino or a neg SOI brings rain
      there and sometimes canes.

      The biosphere in Florida was delayed from activating itself in the
      oceans--during the drought, but now the rain has washed three years
      of accumulated biological material, including charred remains from
      fires. The black algae is evidence of just this occurance, and the
      rain that Florida has received evidence of Gaia, and the feedback
      itself, of course, increases the chance of a TS.

      TS require low shear and ENSO brings shear, so for Florida, a
      flaring active period that stimulates the Gaia feedback for Florida
      is the very act that prevents much TS activity!
    • fredwx
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 12, 2002
        Of the 5 Hit years, 4 where El-Nino years and only 1 was not.
        Of the 5 Hits, only 2 where hurricanes, 1 TS and 2 were TD's when
        they were in Florida.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 12, 2002
          I went back and looked at the 10 years that matched to see how all of
          Florida made out. The results:
          1895 - 2 TS (not El Nino)
          1991- 1 TS, 1 TD (El Nino)
          1946 - 1 TS, 1 Hrcn (El Nino)
          1949 - 1 Hrn (not El Nino)
          1980 - None (not El Nino)
          1888- 2 hrcns, 2 TS's (El Nino)
          1913- None (El Nino)
          1965- 1 Hrn - (El Nino)
          1977 - None (El Nino)
          1969 - 1 TS, 1 TD (El Nino)

          I don't see any strong pattern here do you?

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 12, 2002
            Fred,

            Because of the dams on the Orinoco, West Africa AND the very active
            Mississippi I don't think TS history is that helpful.
          • fredwx
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 12, 2002
              The historic record 1900-1996 shows 57 Hurricanes hitting Florida
              This is a 57% hit rate.

              During the 10 years sited as similar to the present (Regarding SOI)
              there were 4 hurricanes (hit rate of 40%)

              No pattern here that I can see.

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 12, 2002
                > No pattern here that I can see.

                Please let's go through them one at a time (the four from the last 10
                years) and I will explain what I mean. Which one came first?
              • fredwx
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 13, 2002
                  The most recent year was 1991 which was labled as an el nino year.
                  http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlantic/1991/index.html

                  The next was 1980 (non el nino)
                  http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlantic/1980/index.html

                  Then 1977 (el nino)
                  http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlantic/1977/index.html

                  and the next was 1969 (el nino)
                  http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlantic/1969/index.html

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 13, 2002
                    Fred, I am not following you. Those are storms going back to 1969.
                    What I am saying about Florida is given what has changed w/ Gaia over
                    the past 10 years, especially between the time of Andrew and now,
                    this data is misleading. For instance, given the Dr. Gray factors of
                    Sahel rainfall and TS activity, here is a story that just came out
                    and some comments about it (not that Cape Verde waves are important
                    as far as a Andrew like storm, and Andrew was post Mt. Pinatubo, a
                    SOx event that would drop phase change temps of cirrus).

                    From this link:

                    ><tt>David Roberts, the head of the aerosol modelling group at the
                    Meteorological Office's Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction and
                    Research, said: "It's an effect of the thermal balance between the
                    two hemispheres. There has to be a rough balance between the north
                    and south hemispheres – you can't have spare energy in one place or
                    the other. If the Earth was completely symmetrical, then the point of
                    thermal equilibrium, where the total energy on either side of a line
                    was equal, would be the Equator. But because the Northern hemisphere
                    isn't the same as the south [because of the vast energy reservoir of
                    the Pacific, which retains energy more efficiently than land] we find
                    that the Northern hemisphere is warmer than the South."</tt>

                    ><TT>However, aerosol-driven cooling of the Northern hemisphere
                    pushes that point of thermal equilibrium south – and with it go the
                    rainclouds that people depend on for their crops in the Sahel. Dr
                    Rotstayn and Professor Lohmann said that droughts have become less
                    severe during the past few years. But that does not mean that they
                    have disappeared. Far from it; the whole of southern Africa is facing
                    a "regional food crisis", according to a recent report that notes
                    that a total of six countries in southern Africa have roughly 11
                    million people who need emergency food assistance. Ironically, the
                    note came from the United States Agency for International
                    Development.</tt>

                    http://news.independent.co.uk/world/environment/story.jsp?story=304723

                    My Comments:

                    Wrong! SOx reduces phase change temperatures of cirrus but the
                    bigger issue here is that hydro changes between the hemispheres AND
                    Gaia issues w/ in Africa itself. Here are some examples:

                    ><tt>There are three more conspicuous examples of the Movement's
                    activities. The first example is traditional stone lines which are
                    used to restore soil erosion. This is the product of cooperation
                    between a western NGO and local peasants in the Naam group. Peter
                    Wright, a project director of Oxfam discovered an excellent
                    traditional water-conservation scheme when he was working with
                    villagers, but he, at the same time, noticed that if these are
                    aligned properly with the contour levels, they would work better
                    (Wright and Bonkoungou, 1986: 79-86). Wright invented a cheap method
                    to measure the contour by using a hosepipe, maximizing this schemes'
                    effectiveness. Lines of stones ranged along the contour amazingly
                    "increase infiltration, boost crop yields, reduce erosion, and are
                    even capable of rehabilitating totally degraded land. [Moreover,] [t]
                    he technique of making them is so cheap and simple that the stone
                    lines are spreading with astonishing speed" (Harrison, 1989: 165).
                    The Naam Movement disseminated the techniques widely, from neighbour
                    to neighbour, from village to village. </tt>

                    http://www.fao.org/waicent/faoinfo/sustdev/ROdirect/ROan0006.htm

                    Another link:

                    http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~anthro/courses/306/sahel-
                    desertification.html

                    And another on small dams, not to see the actual illness but to track
                    how small dams were constructed and used and may end up actually
                    being beneficial to Gaia:

                    http://www.wisc.edu/epat/.pop-env/.schis/.format/.small-dams.html

                    More Gaia stuff:

                    http://www.cidob.org/Ingles/Publicaciones/Afers/45-46acreman.html

                    It should be noted that with this dam building activity in Africa,
                    and elsewhere, like the Orinoco, the tropical storm seasons, and
                    other aspects of climate, have SHIFTED as hydrology is delayed. What
                    we see as a drought in the SW is related to the same thing--living
                    earth feedbacks to biological activity upstream. So, CO2 from fossil
                    fuels has a very important Gaia context, and that context is
                    essentially electrical and biological.

                    Hence, when the Mississippi hydrology is maxed and when African dams
                    have helped SHIFT the wave features, the cirrus warming of the N.
                    Atlantic is DELAYED and this seems to have cooled the Carribean in
                    June and the GOM by mid July, August. Hence, when there finally is,
                    from the delays, electrical and SST ability to form a TS in the N.
                    Atlantic, it is so late in the season that the only thing that stands
                    to hit the US is something that is more cold core . . .

                    Thus, the chance for a TS in the GOM is EARLY from the activity of
                    the Mississippi and spring rains in its flood plain. This year,
                    because of the drought in Florida (which is incidentally related to
                    the same dams being discussed), when solar flaring did bring on the
                    rains, years of biological material has flowed out into the oceans
                    and Gaia has feedback, following the Black Algae, living conditions
                    toward more hydrology. Parts of Florida have had 20" of rain in very
                    short periods of time the past few weeks! That might not be a TS but
                    it is Gaia.

                    I think that for the next few weeks there remains a chance for a TS
                    for Florida and if it hits, a small chance for a what I call back EMF
                    storm for the Texas side of the GOM, but it is difficult to say on
                    that, particularly w/ the conditions of the Colorado and CAP and the
                    fires and drought and all of that--the poor hydrology on that side of
                    the GOM.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 13, 2002
                      The years I sent are the most recent years that match the present
                      pattern of SOI.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 13, 2002
                        Oh. Cool.

                        Well, this presents even a greater problem in that ocean temperatures
                        in general are in my view warmer at this time than in the past 6,000
                        years, based on this ENSO pattern we are seeing. Reason--the ocean
                        conductivity is different than it was recently. That means that you
                        can throw out recent TS data as not helpful. And that is why the
                        recent SST anomalies combined with knowledge of the solar cycle and
                        the Mt. Pinatubo event are so interesting to compare from this time
                        to January-March 1997.

                        The SOI is interesting only in the CONTEXT of SSTs and flaring/CMEs
                        because it helps demostrate the cirrus cloud feedbacks . . . in my
                        view they won't be that helpful as an artificial intelligence outside
                        these other considerations.

                        --- In methanehydrateclub@y..., fredwx <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                        > The years I sent are the most recent years that match the present
                        > pattern of SOI.

                      • fredwx
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 14, 2002
                          Mike,
                          Here is a link I found today that I think you might like to take a
                          look at:
                          http://www.esr.org/lagerloef/sfcV/sfcV.html