    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2002
      ** Aurora Watch In Effect **

      A full-halo CME billowed off of the sun on 6/5, and is headed our way.
      The most likely source of the event was probably sunspot region 9979.
      There was no corresponding significant flare, which once again shows
      that you don't necessarily need a big flare to create a CME. It should
      arrive here sometime on the 7th, and active geomagnetic conditions are
      a definite possibility. Thus, an aurora watch has been put into
      effect. There is a coronal hole that is now in an Earth-pointing
      position. We should be seeing some high speed solar wind gusts from
      that around the 9th. There are several sunspot groups visible this
      evening, but none look as if they have any major flare generation
      potential. There is a small chance for an M-class flare from 9973.

      IMF Orientation : 2.5 nT North

      Solar activity is expected to be low. A small chance of an isolated
      M-class flare in 9973 remains.

      Geomagnetic atcivity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be quiet to active over the next
      48 hours in response to a CME that occurred on 05 June.