Re: Question for B-1

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2002
      --- In methanehydrateclub@y..., "pawnfart" <mike@u...> wrote:
      > When you make these observations of M1.1 on 6/1 at 1049 Z--is that a
      > reading relative to how he earth gets this energy or is it an
      > observational reading relative to the sun only? IOW, is it a reading
      > taken from how the sat gets it where it is or is it looking at the
      > size of the flare? What is that reading?

      That reading is obtained by measuring the X-ray output of the flare,
      as measured by the GOES 8 satellite. The actual X-ray measurement is
      taken in watts/square meter. M class flares range from .00001 to
      .0001 watts/square meter. GOES stands for Geostationary Operational
      Environmental Satellites. As the name inmplies they are in
      geostationary orbit. Therefore, their distance to the sun would vary
      as Earth's does. Since the seasonal Earth-Sun distance change is
      relatively minor compared to the total Earth-Sun distance, I wouldn't
      think it would affect the readings that much.