Question for B-1

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2002
      When you make these observations of M1.1 on 6/1 at 1049 Z--is that a
      reading relative to how he earth gets this energy or is it an
      observational reading relative to the sun only? IOW, is it a reading
      taken from how the sat gets it where it is or is it looking at the
      size of the flare? What is that reading?

      The reason I ask is the elliptical orbit of the sun and the M9 like
      flares we had this winter have not been seen as we have moved away
      from the sun. Yet the SOI impact seems to be about the same, IOW
      when we get M class flares SOI tends to neg.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2002
        --- In methanehydrateclub@y..., "pawnfart" <mike@u...> wrote:
        > When you make these observations of M1.1 on 6/1 at 1049 Z--is that a
        > reading relative to how he earth gets this energy or is it an
        > observational reading relative to the sun only? IOW, is it a reading
        > taken from how the sat gets it where it is or is it looking at the
        > size of the flare? What is that reading?

        That reading is obtained by measuring the X-ray output of the flare,
        as measured by the GOES 8 satellite. The actual X-ray measurement is
        taken in watts/square meter. M class flares range from .00001 to
        .0001 watts/square meter. GOES stands for Geostationary Operational
        Environmental Satellites. As the name inmplies they are in
        geostationary orbit. Therefore, their distance to the sun would vary
        as Earth's does. Since the seasonal Earth-Sun distance change is
        relatively minor compared to the total Earth-Sun distance, I wouldn't
        think it would affect the readings that much.