    Message 1 of 2 , May 12, 2002
      An unexpected shock wave surged past Earth's magnetosphere Saturday
      morning, and kicked up the solar wind speed substantially in the
      process. A G-2 (moderate) geomagnetic storm was triggered by the
      event, which has since subsided. The storm was strong enough to touch
      off aurora. This picture was taken near Quebec City, Canada.
      http://science.nasa.gov/spaceweather/aurora/images/11may02/moussette3.jpg
      . The solar wind speed is still elevated. While an official aurora
      watch is not in effect, I wouldn't be surprised if there were more
      aurora spotted this evening. There was an M-class flare yesterday,
      and we could be seeing the CME from that arrive here at Earth in a
      couple of days. Stay tuned for more information about that. Sunspot
      region 9934 is close to the western limb of the solar disk, but still
      has the potential of producing a major flare.

      IMF Orientation : 2.5 nT South

      Space weather for the next 24 hours is expected to be minor. Radio
      blackouts reaching the R1 level are expected.

      Solar activity forecast :
      Solar activity is expected to be low to moderate. Region 9934 and
      Region 9937 have the potential for M-class events.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be quiet to unsettled. Isolated
      active to minor storm conditions are possible on day two and three of
      the forecast period due to CME effects from the M1/Sf flare on 11/1132
      UTC.

      11-May-2002 1132Z M1.4
      Message 2 of 2 , May 13, 2002
        Here is the SOI index for the last two days:

        11-May-2002 1006.46 1009.60 -35.70 -4.20 -2.55
        12-May-2002 1009.41 1011.00 -23.80 -4.92 -3.11

        Of interest is the two tropical storms to the west of the tropical
        Pacific and the Darwin BP dropping then now rising but with this
        flaring the Tahita BP rising, otherwise we may have gone back to
        zero. I suspect that if the tropical storms take some energy out of
        the SSTs to the west of the Pacific we may see some trending back to
        an El Nino SOI but we are now in the East Pac hurricane season and so
        the Eastern Pacific is going to have a chance to cool with these
        storms. We shall see.

        --- In methanehydrateclub@y..., "b1blancer_29501" <b1blancer1@e...>