Re: Solar Activity Report for 5/6/02

    Message 1 of 3 , May 6, 2002
      Date Tahiti Darwin Daily** 30 day Av.SOI 90 day Av.SOI

      4-May-2002 1011.79 1009.50 5.80 -1.12 -0.80

      5-May-2002 1010.00 1008.30 1.30 -0.71 -0.82

      6-May-2002 1011.48 1007.60 17.90 0.00 -0.67

      7-May-2002 1012.56 1008.05 22.80 0.72 -0.62

      Look at the reading for the 5th compared to the 7th of the SOI
      index. Seems like that is evidence of that "transient" event you
      speak of. Could you be a little more specific about what that
      means? Also, note that with the absence of flaring and the growing
      distance from the sun with the earth's elliptical orbit, the SIZE of
      that La Nina wind.

      --- In methanehydrateclub@y..., "b1blancer_29501" <b1blancer1@e...>

      Message 2 of 3 , May 7, 2002
        > Look at the reading for the 5th compared to the 7th of the SOI
        > index. Seems like that is evidence of that "transient" event you
        > speak of. Could you be a little more specific about what that
        > means?

        I wish I could be more specific! There was no significant solar flare
        activity, and there was no coronal hole activity to justify the
        increase in solar wind speed and density. There is no mention of any
        significant activity on any of the space weather websites that would
        be related to it. There was a CME seen a couple of days earlier, but
        it was what is called a backside event, meaning it shot off of the
        opposite side of the sun from us. Beats the heck outta me!