    Message 1 of 3 , May 6, 2002
      All is fairly quiet this evening. The solar wind density is somewhat
      elevated, although I can see no real reason for it to be, so it may
      just be a transient event. The sunspot number remains in the low
      200's, and there are 10 separate sunspot groups visible on the solar
      disk. Of the bunch, sunsput region 9934 is the largest and has the
      greatest flare-producing potential.

      IMF Orientation : 2.3 nT North

      Solar activity is expected to be at low levels. Region 9934 has lost
      it's delta configuration in the leader spot.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be at quiet to unsettled levels.
      Unsettled conditions are expected for day one of the forecast period.

      Recent solar activity forecast :
      Message 2 of 3 , May 6, 2002
        Date Tahiti Darwin Daily** 30 day Av.SOI 90 day Av.SOI

        4-May-2002 1011.79 1009.50 5.80 -1.12 -0.80

        5-May-2002 1010.00 1008.30 1.30 -0.71 -0.82

        6-May-2002 1011.48 1007.60 17.90 0.00 -0.67

        7-May-2002 1012.56 1008.05 22.80 0.72 -0.62

        Look at the reading for the 5th compared to the 7th of the SOI
        index. Seems like that is evidence of that "transient" event you
        speak of. Could you be a little more specific about what that
        means? Also, note that with the absence of flaring and the growing
        distance from the sun with the earth's elliptical orbit, the SIZE of
        that La Nina wind.

        --- In methanehydrateclub@y..., "b1blancer_29501" <b1blancer1@e...>

        Message 3 of 3 , May 7, 2002
          > Look at the reading for the 5th compared to the 7th of the SOI
          > index. Seems like that is evidence of that "transient" event you
          > speak of. Could you be a little more specific about what that
          > means?

          I wish I could be more specific! There was no significant solar flare
          activity, and there was no coronal hole activity to justify the
          increase in solar wind speed and density. There is no mention of any
          significant activity on any of the space weather websites that would
          be related to it. There was a CME seen a couple of days earlier, but
          it was what is called a backside event, meaning it shot off of the
          opposite side of the sun from us. Beats the heck outta me!