Horrible drought in Arizona

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 22, 2002
      The Arizona drought condition right now is the worst in 107 years.
      Some rainfall records show they are -21.87" behind 2001. Water levels
      in reserviors are at an ALL time low, most are at 22% or LESS
      capacity, water wells are going dry in areas. They are loosing 10-12
      acres a MONTH of Ponderosa Pines.

      I had a buddy in the Army from Arizona I used to tease about his
      cactus in his back yard, but he used to explain to me how wrong I
      was. Of course, I have been through there many times, especially N.
      Arizona, and I knew that parts of Arizona and New Mexico are some of
      the most wooded areas in the west.

      To follow the drought and wildland fire danger go to www.wmonline.com
      click on fire report. You'll see this drought is just as bad if not
      WORSE than the east coast and SE drought.

      From a cirrus standpoint, I called for this drought and was very
      concerned about it last year.

      Allow me to explain.

      Last year, President Bush met with the Mexican President. The Mexican
      President practically was begging Bush that over flows from Lake Mead
      would be allowed to go through to the Gulf of California. The ecology
      reason stated was for bottle neck dolphins and other wildlife in the
      Gulf eustuary that suffered as a result of the poor flows from the
      Colorado delta. Sadly, it appears that Palm Springs gulf courses got
      that water.

      I realize if this is the first time you have read my words, I make no
      sense. But after awhile--it does. And for starters, I must say that
      May flowers bring April showers.

      Understand, studies have been made the correlate the SSTs in the Gulf
      of California with monsoonal rain patterns to AZ. Those SSTS have
      been cold. So, the question is why?

      The answer is all electrical.

      With warmer oceans, the North Pacific gyre conducts electrical
      currents better. Sadly for AZ, the gyre generally contains east to
      west moving and cirrus reducing currents to the north of the gyre (if
      you go too far north you hit the Alaska current, geared of the gyre,
      which does indeed move the other way and interestingly, in my view is
      the cause of the start of a neo glacial, provided the oceans get warm
      enough, but that is for another post). Hence, the result is that the
      tropics through the regions of China and Japan get relatively more
      cirrus enhancement, whereas the SSTs for the west coast and gulf area
      get relatively cold SSTs. I know, confusing.

      Further, the electrical insulation, once cirrus enhancement
      electrically does occur, is poor from poor hydrate conditions.
      Despite the Hoover dam, huge amounts of biological material still can
      flow from Lake Mead during some spring rains. This flows to the Gulf
      of California and causes methane to be produced by methanogens, and
      hydrates form, freezing from the methane, and coat the Gulf with
      insulating hydrates. This allows more electrical enhancement of
      cirrus clouds, and over ambiant winds and time, provides for warmer
      SSTs. Warmer SSTs mean more monsoonal flow for AZ.

      Finally, the dams of China in particular have been harsh on all of
      the N. Pacific. But mostly, it is Lake Mead, if you want to talk
      human activity. You can also, of course, talk about world wide wamer
      ocean from CO2 as methanogen food and as a GHG. But that isn't a
      regional problem (and why CO2 is not your Gaia forcing as it cannot
      exact a regional biological climate feedback whereas cirrus clouds
      can). All higher CO2 can do is in general melt hydrates and ice which
      means that, especially to the northern parts of the gyres, there will
      be less electrical insulation. Again, as the gyres turn these waters
      into the California current, there are more cold anomalies for the
      west coast.
    • fredwx
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 24, 2002
        Here is a link to the drought index: