Re: Gaia box

  • fredwx
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2002
      You said "That box is telling you about how winds and currents going
      both ways, inducting current or not, impact cirrus clouds and hence
      the amount of forcing retained. This shows Gaia's forcing agent clear
      as a box."

      The box indicates that the radiative forcing due to cirrus depends on
      the thickness of the cloud layer and the top cloud height. Where does
      it mentions currents and/or winds? The paper simply says they find
      that the "feedback factor" is about 1/2 as much as stated by
      Lindzen.

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2002
        Good question, Fred.

        Fu's data set is essentially the same as Lindzen's and therefore
        ignores direction of current, which can be east and west where the
        study occurred. What I suggest is the sum of the forcings, with
        electrical enhancement or without it, differs from what the forcing
        would be without the electrical currents, such that it actually
        appears as a "box" you can see. That box exists exactly where cirrus
        clouds would exist to be moved electrically.