Gaia box

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2002
      More thoughts on

      http://www.atmos-chem-phys.org/acpd/1/221/

      and specifically figure 3.

      Cirrus are locate between 3 and 5 miles. I suspect they are located
      slightly higher in the tropics. If you take 6 km times .62 miles per
      km you get about 3.7 miles and 9 times is 5.5 miles. Take those
      readings to figure three and in between .75 and 1.25 Log(10)theta you
      see a box. That box is telling you about how winds and currents going
      both ways, inducting current or not, impact cirrus clouds and hence
      the amount of forcing retained. This shows Gaia's forcing agent clear
      as a box.
    • fredwx
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2002
        You said "That box is telling you about how winds and currents going
        both ways, inducting current or not, impact cirrus clouds and hence
        the amount of forcing retained. This shows Gaia's forcing agent clear
        as a box."

        The box indicates that the radiative forcing due to cirrus depends on
        the thickness of the cloud layer and the top cloud height. Where does
        it mentions currents and/or winds? The paper simply says they find
        that the "feedback factor" is about 1/2 as much as stated by
        Lindzen.

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4, 2002
          Good question, Fred.

          Fu's data set is essentially the same as Lindzen's and therefore
          ignores direction of current, which can be east and west where the
          study occurred. What I suggest is the sum of the forcings, with
          electrical enhancement or without it, differs from what the forcing
          would be without the electrical currents, such that it actually
          appears as a "box" you can see. That box exists exactly where cirrus
          clouds would exist to be moved electrically.