***2002 Gaia Cane forecast--PLEASE RESPONDE****

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2002
      It's April and so here goes. Parenthetically, last Friday on NPR's
      Talk of the Nation/Science Friday they talked about El Nino and the
      Drought:

      ++++++++++++++++

      http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/totn/20020329.totn.01.ram

      Drought / El Nino

      Guests:

      Donald A. Wilhite
      * Director, National Drought Mitigation Center
      * International Drought Information Center
      * Associate Director and Professor, School of Natural Resource
      Sciences
      * University of Nebraska
      * Lincoln, Nebraska

      Tony Barnston
      * Head, Forecast Operations
      * International Research Institute for Climate Prediction
      * Lamont Dougherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University
      * Palisades, New York

      Joseph Atkinson
      * Professor, Department of Civil, Structural and Environmental
      Engineering
      * Director, Great Lakes Program University at Buffalo, State
      University of New York
      * Buffalo, New York

      East coast states from Maine to Georgia and western states from
      Montana down through Texas are facing drought conditions. Climate
      forecasters don't see much relief on the way. In this hour, we'll
      take a look at the causes of the drought, whether or not there's an
      El Nino connection, and the climate forecasts for the months ahead.
      Plus, we'll hear how the drought is affecting one part of the country
      -- the Great Lakes.

      +++++++++++++

      This is REALLY worth the listen. I bring this up because the opinions
      of these researchers remind me of what perhaps traditionaly
      forecaster would say about forecasts of El Nino. And I again say
      chaos then, chaos now leads to a conclusion, wrongheaded, that fossil
      fuel use is okay. It is biological modulation then, modulation now,
      defect in feedback loops that allows me to rationally state that
      there is a problem--as well as to make some preductions. Well, I
      correctly disputed the El Nino call last year about this time right
      here at this club/group and I am going to do it again this year.

      I will write this so it is unequivical. No El Nino. And it is EASY
      to forecast this with the flaring peak over and the melting glacial
      ice in the Southern Oceans. (Thanks B-1--you rule). That is critical
      to any hurricane forecast.

      Now, let me talk about the drought. Particularly on the East Coast
      and in the SW and Colorado flood plain. Great Lakes remain at record
      lows like last year--haven't seen low levels like this since changes
      to the Mississippi delta swamps in the 60s. This means there is NO
      WAY there will be a NE coast landfall. It also means it is less
      likely, but possible, for a NC landfall. The EPAC will continue to
      see reduced overall activity AFTER the energy from the "El Nino"
      winds of March dispates perhaps with another early large May storm.

      The no El Nino is consistant with this headline discussed here this
      weekend:

      SCRIPPS SCIENTIST DISCOVERS WARMING TREND IN SOUTHERN OCEAN OVER THE
      LAST 50 YEARS

      Decline in Antarctic sea ice, carbon dioxide storage, possible
      implications
      http://scrippsnews.ucsd.edu/pressreleases/gille_science_warm.html

      As I have been saying now for some time, warmer Southern Ocean means
      that it conducts a current better. Put another way, the water has a
      higher specific conductivity. The general direction of current
      (excepting the eddy by B-22) has inducted a current against cirrus
      formation (EASTWARD) and that is why warmer ocean mean both melting
      glaciers AND colder interior. Of course, where the oceans are warmer
      there is a double effect of where the currents move WESTWARD there is
      greater cirrus enhancement and extremes of flooding and so forth.
      OTOH, where these warm waters melt ice fresh water capping has the
      effect the other way, which is why I have been pretty confident about
      no El Nino. That was the case from 12,500 to 7,500 years ago BP--no
      El Nino. No El Nino means heavy hurricane activity per Dr. Gray's
      stats. I will hook you up with Gray links if you doubt it.

      Warmer waters also mean melting hydrate ice, which means drought--
      like the east coast. It also may be a biological loss that leads to
      low hydrate activity. Which I think is the case w/ the N. Pacific.
      Cold anomalies again dominate the north N. Pacific. Is this warmer
      waters melting hydrates or 30,000 dams built in Asia over the past 30
      years culminated by Three Gorge's diversion in November 1997? Could
      it be the ag changes that go with the hydrology changes as it relates
      to the biosphere in the N. Pacific? Changes in moon earth
      depressurization and tides? My estimate is it is the dams,
      particularly the relocation of millions of people to the Yangtze
      combined with warmer ocean temperatures and it has dramatically
      depleted the hydrate activity in the northern N. Pacific.

      What does this have to do with hurricanes? Well, it is your Great
      Lakes problem, drought in the western plains, and Rockies. This
      impacts secondary hydrology and therefore impacts the biosphere where
      hurricanes take place. Of greatest note is the Great Lake's drainage
      and the NE coast.

      It is incredible to see this with the SST anomalies along the NE
      coast:

      http://psbsgi1.nesdis.noaa.gov:8080/PSB/EPS/SST/climo.html

      SST anomalies are up for the 29th. Of interest also are the cold
      anomalies off West Africa. This is as predicted with the new dams
      built there in the past 5 years--really screwed up Dr. Gray's
      forecast. Dams there SHIFT what should be spring rains and feedbacks
      that maintain warmth. Cape Verde storms in particular get shut down
      until much later in the season and then come on much stronger. There
      is the problem of an Alberto, but that is related to the drought.
      What happens is the cold anomalies off the NE coast cause really
      strong coriolis driven WESTWARD winds to move to the south of the
      cold anomalies. This inducts a strong current and causes over time a
      cummulative warm patch where an Alberto like storm can form. With
      flaring down, look for a long churning mid N. Atlantic storm end of
      July or August.

      Flaring yesterday, for instance, was heavy but otherwise flaring has
      started to be quiet. Quiet as a over all long term trend. SSTs and
      rivers are really going to matter as we move away from the double
      peak flaring cycle and are on its decelleration.

      On the 29th SST anomalie here in N. Cal you see slightly cold
      anomalies compared to S. Cal w/ straight cold anomalies. That is
      related to their drought there and very poor Gaia conditions. Cold
      anomalies also dominate in the Gulf of California. That's the
      drought in the Colorado flood plain and Gaia feeding back no cirrus
      enhancement. I think this makes for continued drought conditions in
      the monsoonal zone of the SW and also probably decreases the chance
      for an Allison storm this spring.

      The drought in New York and the rest of the east coast will continue
      and is continuing by the SST anomalies. Great Lake levels, again, are
      at 30 year lows--just like last year. This will continue given
      conditions in the N. Pacific. It is going to be very terrible on the
      east coast this summer. Very bad. And forget about a hurricane
      providing rain relief. Very unlikely.

      Let me now sum up in a nutshell some of the basics of my forecast.

      No El Nino. Very heavy. We will see named storms with an M and
      perhaps an O. Shifted late. This is a key aspect of the dams,
      particularly West Africa w/ Cape Verde storms and then the dams on
      the Orinoco and Amazon and other South/Central American rivers. Note
      new dams on Orinoco and Amazon and West Africa already giving cold
      anomaly readings, especially West Africa. This is occurring right
      now. By August the trend starts to reverse and by October the dams
      bring Gaia feedbacks warm oceans just when conditions are most ripe
      for storms. Very dangerous. It's your Mitch, Caracus, Kevin,
      Michelle problem and it aint going away. If you get small flaring
      event timed with this. Well . . . Mitch.

      Florida had black algae bloom and no flooding so far in Mississipi.
      It's still early on that. We get some rain and flooding on the
      Mississippi and that could change in the next few weeks, but as of
      right now, the Mississippi input is the subsistance from years of
      abuse and the man made lakes starting to show their age and the
      swamps in the delta eroding away. 25 square miles per years is lost
      to the GOM and that goes straight to the methanogens. Then there is
      the weathering, higher CO2 disucssion we have had here and there you
      go.

      The Florida bloom is related to the end of the drought and the fires
      and all that bio material flowing to oceans. While the waters are
      black with algae and fish aren't being caught, it is very strong
      hydrate conditions that make Florida a target this year. So Florida
      and Mississippi are somewhat different biologically this year. I am
      not sure what that means yet for early GOM storm like Allison, except
      that I suspect that we may see one more to the east of the
      Mississippi. We will have another post flaring event storm that
      historically has landfell to Texas, but I think we are talking about
      more of a eastward track.

      (I would also be concerned about tornadic activity in the alley in
      early May. Conditions are almost the same as 1999. )

      Anyway, the biggest news will be the drought on the east coast, which
      as far as I can see will last AT LEAST another 3 months. And mean NO
      land falls to the NE, consistant with the decrease of these storms
      over the past 30 years as oceans have warmed against hydrate activity.

      All storms will continue to be in general stalling/flooding types,
      with slower surface buzz sawing risks due to the lack of SOx
      emissions from any volcanic event. Put another way, while I have my
      eyes on Florida right now, no Andrew is coming to buzz saw things on
      the ground. Storms will be more like Allison--low wind rainy things.

      Look for an early storm GOM storm, Alberto II in late July, and a
      heavy shifted season, with most of the action further south then
      historically seen.
    • paul hadfield
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1 4:57 AM
        pawnfart said:

        "(I would also be concerned about tornadic activity in
        the alley in early May. Conditions are almost the same
        as 1999. )"

        very interesting... i say that as a local forecaster
        named Joe Bauer of WANDTV Central IL during a severe
        wx special called "Spring Alert" airing last week
        (3/27) said that "this year was to expected to be weak
        in the way of activity." he offered no supporting
        evidence but since 1999 was a big year around here in
        Central IL (as well as in the S) with 34 tornadoes
        reported in this region alone (source:
        http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ilx/torn.htm), who is to say
        that he is right? in contrast to your statement
        regarding similiar conditions and the historical facts
        associated with 1999 also with the fact that 1998 was
        a HUGE year with 52 reported in Central IL, i wonder
        where someone like him gets his info to make such a
        statement about the outcome when in fact we won't know
        till the season is over. granted, 2000 and 2001 were
        fairly quiet however 2001 presented a "late bloomer"
        on October 24th mauling a large area of Monticello IL
        and way past the usual season. i'll be following your
        theory along with our local met's prediction to see
        who is right or at least closest. so far you've been
        dead on and it would be funny if our local guy eats
        his words... just so long as it isn't at the expense
        of life or property... be well!

        (that link contains a host of interesting Central IL
        tornado stats, take note of the pattern-like flow of
        the numbers.)

        =====
        stop by anytime! http://www.pawleewurx.com

        http://greetings.yahoo.com/
      • fredwx
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1 7:12 AM
          Here is a link to a Satellite photo showing the black tide:
          http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/Archive/Mar2002/modis_
          fl_blk_20020130_lrg.jpg

        • fredwx
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1 10:26 AM
            Trying the link again - click on the icon over Florida:

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1 11:00 AM
              --- In methanehydrateclub@y..., paul hadfield <paul@p...> wrote:
              > pawnfart said:
              >
              > "(I would also be concerned about tornadic activity in
              > the alley in early May. Conditions are almost the same
              > as 1999. )"
              >
              > very interesting... i say that as a local forecaster
              > named Joe Bauer of WANDTV Central IL during a severe
              > wx special called "Spring Alert" airing last week
              > (3/27) said that "this year was to expected to be weak
              > in the way of activity." he offered no supporting
              > evidence

              This is actually more reasoned than it seems, despite him giving no
              support to his conclusion. What it relies on, clearly, is the El
              Nino call that many meteorologists have made. As demostrated by
              those experts on that last hurricane link who spoke on the NPR show
              (again, highly recommended listening) the best and brightest think
              chaos and El Nino. Both are flat WRONG.

              Historically, when there is El Nino conditions it means low hurricane
              AND tornadic activity. So his view is reasoned assuming that there
              is an El Nino based on what the experts, like NOAA, called. But, as
              I have posted below in great detail--there will be no El Nino. What
              we will instead have is what I call a post flaring event nuetral or
              cold anomalies. What that tends to mean is that instead of the
              equatorial counter current and winds reversing themselves like an El
              Nino, the equatorials follow normal EASTWARD tracking and when these
              flaring/post El Nino warmed equatorials move in that direction near
              Panama in the E. Pac they then begin to move NW toward the California
              coast. These waters heat up then and really enhance the subtropical
              jet that moves toward the tornado zone.

              So what you have, if you look at SST anomalies from 1999 and what is
              slowly forming now, is a line between cold anomalies in the N.
              Pacific and warm anomalies riding all the way from the E. Pac to the
              GOM to the N. Atlantic. That line that divides these two extremes
              runs right through tornado alley.

              Now, during an El Nino, GENERALLY SPEAKING there is flaring patterns
              that enhance cirrus relative to what the sun is doing, or the action
              is from the sky down--not what the SSTs patterns provide--or the
              action is from the ocean up. That is true despite the obvious ocean
              SST patterns the define an El Nino, and I am speaking about how El
              Nino impacts US weather patterns. What that tends to do is cause
              more steady rainfall conditions and not jet stream driven powerful
              storms where there are contrasting fronts that have organized along
              SST anomalies . . .

              but since 1999 was a big year around here in
              > Central IL (as well as in the S) with 34 tornadoes
              > reported in this region alone (source:
              > http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ilx/torn.htm), who is to say
              > that he is right? in contrast to your statement
              > regarding similiar conditions and the historical facts
              > associated with 1999 also with the fact that 1998 was
              > a HUGE year with 52 reported in Central IL, i wonder
              > where someone like him gets his info to make such a
              > statement about the outcome when in fact we won't know
              > till the season is over. granted, 2000 and 2001 were
              > fairly quiet however 2001 presented a "late bloomer"
              > on October 24th mauling a large area of Monticello IL
              > and way past the usual season. i'll be following your
              > theory along with our local met's prediction to see
              > who is right or at least closest. so far you've been
              > dead on and it would be funny if our local guy eats
              > his words... just so long as it isn't at the expense
              > of life or property... be well!
              >
              > (that link contains a host of interesting Central IL
              > tornado stats, take note of the pattern-like flow of
              > the numbers.)
              >
              > =====
              > stop by anytime! http://www.pawleewurx.com

              > http://greetings.yahoo.com/
            • pawleewurx
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2 7:05 PM
                as always you host the most fascinating discussions. i have been
                sharing your commentary with a number of local friend's and indeed it
                has inspired some spirited debate which as you know weather people do
                best! thanks again and do suppose we shall get to see how it goes as
                the months wear on! just hope NO ONE gets anything close to the
                tornado of May 3rd 1999 in Moore OK as seen on TWC"s "Stormweek"
                tonight... be well!