Re: Antarctic Ice Shelf Collapses

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27, 2002
      Fred,

      I am more interested in DIRECTION of wind/current rather than whole
      picture (global warm/cooling) and how that relates to defects in Gaia
      feedbacks.

      The prevailing current around Antarctica is EASTWARD. The fact that
      in one general area there is a warm anomalie indicates to me,
      especailly the topography of the terresphere there, an eddy formation
      and a westward wind to the region.

      How this is related to warmer ocean temperatures there is difficult
      to tell. Does the warmer oceans cause a change in ocean currents? I
      would say yes. Look at the east coast of the US--clearly hydrate
      fields are not doing well.