Biology on methanogens--why cutting edge

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15, 2002
      I am a very good researcher and had extension courses at UCLA trying
      to be a better disability attorney--and got the latest in
      microbiology from the courses I took. And the application on the
      methanogens is straight out of my micro text.

      My father was a military meteorologist so I sort of have the family
      love of the study and from my mother, a nurse and lover of all things
      biological, I have the biology interest. This hobby turned to an
      obsession--explaining why anyone would spend as much time reading
      every post on a list like this. I went on every climate bb and looked
      up every site that seemed to matter. And the picture that emerged is
      somewhat surprising in that climate is viewed by most as either
      impacted strongly by CO2 as a green house gas as opposed to
      moderately or mildly with no justification of wrecking our economy.
      Most people look at me and put my view under 'other' and that is what
      this group is about.

      The critical distinction is that I consider that CO2 is NOT a
      significant green house gas--water is, but that CO2 levels from
      fossil fuels burning creates a defect in climate feedback loops that
      are BIOLOGICAL. The distinction is absolutely essential when
      analysing issues like the cow farts or what not. That is because the
      biosphere involved with cows or sheep or horses or humans is already
      there and part of living earth feedbacks. This is not a joke.
      Fossil fuels are not part of the feedback system--they are literally
      part of the biology's sequestration of the carbon to create the
      conditions where chemistry and temperature of the earth are
      modulated. It is like, as I have written several times, urinating in
      our IV bags.

      A biological approach is an incredibly important defining idea. It
      changes the quesion of whether there will be slight variances of rain
      to complain about or whether we are talking about our very existance
      as a species! That is why I view most cynics view as not taking the
      issue seriously as incredibly stupid.

      The biology behind it is absolutely cutting edge and speaking now as
      a lawyer, I find this evidence extremely compelling. The human genome
      project has started many new spin off ideas--and this is one of them.
      One spin off is the idea of paleo biology--the science that tries to
      figure out from genetic evidence what occurred in the evolutionary
      past. This science is starting to ask fundimental questions about how
      early life evolved and mathematical questions about differences in
      evolutionary processes that add robustness and advantage to them. One
      of the key ideas are how introns make for more complex life's ability
      to evolve. An intron is genetic coding with no purpose in the present
      life forms functioning. It's noise in the DNA inbetween patterns of
      DNA that do stuff. So a creature that doesn't have these sequences
      can't evolve new patterns so well. It evolves very slowly without
      evolutionary efficiency. Now, bacteria don't have the the introns, as
      the are low on the evolutionary tree and yet managed to survive, but
      as early and less complex life they have a advantage over more
      complex life because they grow and divide very quickly without the
      introns. What Blind Dave fails to mention when he says that
      methanogens don't have introns but neither do other bacteria is that
      methanogens are NOT bactieria!

      But even bacteria have in their cells DNA called PLASMIDS. Plasmids
      are bits of DNA that bacteria use for evolutionary complexity and
      change and communication. But along come these methanogens in the
      hydrate fields and guess what? They don't have either introns OR
      plasmids. At a minmum plasmids are RARE in archea, but what my
      research has shown is that rare means rare and I don't find any
      literature what-so-ever of methanogens containing plasmids that would
      aid their ability to evolve more complex features. None. The only
      literature out there found one plasmid in the archea group to which
      methanogens belong, but then it would make sense that one of its
      relatives would evolve toward surviving complexity because it is not
      part of the living climate feedback system's alpha and omega.

      The methanogens genetic change, thus, is relatively very slow and
      indeed they haven't changed over huge time scales. They have evolved
      not to evolve. When you put it together, from the idea that climate
      is regulated, modulated, feedback loops to the methanogens, via
      electrical fields and cirrus clouds, the idea of no change makes
      sense. Change leads to chaos locally, like what is occurring on the
      east coast near shore oceans, and that means death to everything
      living.