El Nino here already??

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2002
      (CNN) -- "El Nino" has arrived.

      Scientists at the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric
      Administration, or NOAA, report that surface temperatures of the
      Pacific Ocean near the South American coast warmed 4 degrees
      Fahrenheit (2 degrees Celsius) in February. That is a strong sign
      that the Pacific is headed for an El Nino condition that could last
      more than a year.

      "It's still too early to determine the potential strength of this El
      Nino or exactly what weather conditions it will bring to the United
      States, but it is likely these warming conditions in the tropical
      Pacific will continue until early 2003," said NOAA Administrator
      Conrad Lautenbacher in a statement.

      One sign of a coming El Nino is a change in what fish can be found
      off the west coast of South America. Peruvian officials report that
      cold water anchovies have recently been replaced by tropical species.

      More at :
      http://www.cnn.com/2002/WEATHER/03/07/el.nino.2002/index.html

      Hmmmm, they're saying that SC and NC will be wetter than normal next
      winter. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing that. We're a long way
      behind in rainfall for the past couple of years.
    • midlantwx
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 7, 2002
        --- In methanehydrateclub@y..., "b1blancer_29501" <b1blancer1@e...> wrote:
        > (CNN) -- "El Nino" has arrived.
        >
        > Scientists at the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric
        > Administration, or NOAA, report that surface temperatures of the
        > Pacific Ocean near the South American coast warmed 4 degrees
        > Fahrenheit (2 degrees Celsius) in February. That is a strong sign
        > that the Pacific is headed for an El Nino condition that could last
        > more than a year.
        >
        > "It's still too early to determine the potential strength of this El
        > Nino or exactly what weather conditions it will bring to the United
        > States, but it is likely these warming conditions in the tropical
        > Pacific will continue until early 2003," said NOAA Administrator
        > Conrad Lautenbacher in a statement.
        >
        > One sign of a coming El Nino is a change in what fish can be found
        > off the west coast of South America. Peruvian officials report that
        > cold water anchovies have recently been replaced by tropical species.
        >
        > More at :
        > http://www.cnn.com/2002/WEATHER/03/07/el.nino.2002/index.html
        >
        > Hmmmm, they're saying that SC and NC will be wetter than normal next
        > winter. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing that. We're a long way
        > behind in rainfall for the past couple of years.

        I wouldn't mind more rain and snow in Virginia, either. We are
        currently 14 inches behind in rainfall, sice last August.

        -midlantwx