Day dreaming

  • Pawnfart
    Message 1 of 702 , Feb 28, 2002
      I am the type who spends my day thinking about
      how life modulates the carbon in the biosphere.
      carbonic acid in the rain and that means more erosion.
      Rain itself is life. <br><br>I define life as that
      which is part of feedback loop responses of the form
      discussed. Hence, the hair on my goat can be shave and it is
      not really alive, and certainly causes me no pain.
      However, if I were to shave our cat and it got cold, the
      cat could die from the shave. The goose bumps and the
      hair raised on end is part of a feedback loop response
      that keeps the cat insulated against changes in its
      surroundings. Likewise, for billions of years methanogens in
      the near river delta oceans have produced or not
      produced methane hydrate fields that insulate electrical
      fields that vary and feedback the behavior of cirrus
      clouds, causing rain or not. Thus, rain itself is a life
      form. <br><br>Did I mention that methanogens breath
      CO2?
      Message 702 of 702 , Mar 1 9:47 PM
        On Feb 28th, the Interplanetary Magnetic Field
        swung to a strong south-pointing orientation. That,
        coupled with an elevated solar wind speed and density,
        triggered a G-1 class geomagnetic storm. The result was
        some high latitude aurora. See this link for a
        photgraph of aurora observed over Quebec :
        namely 9839, 9842, and 9845, that appear to be capable
        of producing M-class flares. Regions 9839 and 9842
        are close to rotating out of view over the western
        limb of the solar disk. Sunspot region 9845, however,
        is close to the sun's central meridian. A rather
        large coronal hole is also approaching the sun's
        central meridian, and coming into an Earth-pointing
        position. High speed colar wind gusts are likely around the
        first of next week.<br><br>The current solar and
        geomagnetic conditions are :<br><br>NOAA sunspot number :
        wind speed : 372.3 km/sec<br>Solar wind density : 4.4
        the last 24 hours : <br>Solar activity was low. The
        geomagnetic field was quiet to unsettled. Stratwarm Alert
        exists Friday.<br><br>Forecast for the next 24 hours
        :<br>Solar activity will be low to moderate. The geomagnetic
        field will be quiet to unsettled.<br><br>Solar Activity
        Forecast :<br>Solar activity is expected to be low to
        moderate for the next three days. Region 9845 is a
        possible source for isolated M-class
        is expected to be mainly quiet to unsettled, until
        the onset of high speed stream effects from a
        recurrent coronal hole begin to develop by day three of the
        forecast period. Isolated active conditions are
        anticipated thereafter.<br><br>Recent significant solar flare
        activity :<br>None