More plasmids--philosophy

  • Pawnfart
    Message 1 of 702 , Feb 4, 2002
      On plasmids. <br><br>I think this is going to be
      a bigger deal for sure. <br><br>During the dark
      ages there was a common belief that the seat of
      consciousness was the blood. Hence as we all know the story
      even George Washington got treatment to drain the bad
      blood from him to cure his illness. Animus, animals,
      animated. <br><br>Today, however, certainly since Crick and
      Watson, we look at afterlife a little bit differently. We
      know that the seat of being is our brain. What we pass
      down are genes and thoughts programmed into our
      machine like thinking processor. Ghost in the Machine, as
      Sting wrote.<br><br>But now we have mapped the entire
      genome and are going after the genomes of other
      creatures. One such creature is the methanogen, and the lack
      of plasmids and introns in them and other things I
      have discussed here point to methanogens as the
      foundation of Gaia. At the same time we have developed an
      ability to munipulate genetics themselves. Talk about a
      different idea of God! We are playing it! The devil too,
      destroying whole eco-systems and their genes, destroying for
      the "progess" of man, causing an extinction event and
      even threatening the climate feedback processes of
      Gaia. <br><br>About three weeks ago I posted on new
      research that found a microbe that converted oil into
      electrons. It would be interesting to see if that microbe
      hand plasmids or not. Like the little fish on the
      shark, some of the microbes may indeed evolve with, say,
      an every more lumenous sun. But certainly the
      methanogens have not.
      Message 702 of 702 , Mar 1, 2002
        On Feb 28th, the Interplanetary Magnetic Field
        swung to a strong south-pointing orientation. That,
        coupled with an elevated solar wind speed and density,
        triggered a G-1 class geomagnetic storm. The result was
        some high latitude aurora. See this link for a
        photgraph of aurora observed over Quebec :
        namely 9839, 9842, and 9845, that appear to be capable
        of producing M-class flares. Regions 9839 and 9842
        are close to rotating out of view over the western
        limb of the solar disk. Sunspot region 9845, however,
        is close to the sun's central meridian. A rather
        large coronal hole is also approaching the sun's
        central meridian, and coming into an Earth-pointing
        position. High speed colar wind gusts are likely around the
        first of next week.<br><br>The current solar and
        geomagnetic conditions are :<br><br>NOAA sunspot number :
        wind speed : 372.3 km/sec<br>Solar wind density : 4.4
        the last 24 hours : <br>Solar activity was low. The
        geomagnetic field was quiet to unsettled. Stratwarm Alert
        exists Friday.<br><br>Forecast for the next 24 hours
        :<br>Solar activity will be low to moderate. The geomagnetic
        field will be quiet to unsettled.<br><br>Solar Activity
        Forecast :<br>Solar activity is expected to be low to
        moderate for the next three days. Region 9845 is a
        possible source for isolated M-class
        is expected to be mainly quiet to unsettled, until
        the onset of high speed stream effects from a
        recurrent coronal hole begin to develop by day three of the
        forecast period. Isolated active conditions are
        anticipated thereafter.<br><br>Recent significant solar flare
        activity :<br>None