Evidence that methane hydrates suspend?

  • Pawnfart
    Message 1 of 702 , Mar 3, 2001
      locations of the methane hydrate deposits. Be careful with
      this, because this only shows where the fields are, and
      what I am talking about is sediments in the oceans as
      well. It is like talking only about glaciers and not
      snow ans sleet and freezing rain. <br><br>From this
      above link, you will notice that the area of the
      mudslide 22,000 years ago near Sicily contains no MH
      fields, as well as the eastern North Atlantic. There is a
      very salty deep current that flows north from near
      Sicily to the Arctic and you really don't see much along
      the shores where that gyre flows, because the waters
      are too saline and warm. That said, those who study
      the locations of the "fields" have described the
      locations as like rings around a bathtub, methane hydrates
      ring the continantal shelves. <br><br>I know you like
      simple human analogies, and this rings around a bath tub
      is pretty good. I want you to ponder it seriously.
      Imagine yourself taking a bath. For me it has been some
      time, not because I am a pig, but because I like
      showers. So I have to go back to when I was a kid. Heavy
      rings around a bath tub from soap take some time to
      form, and they are not about soap only being located at
      the outside of the tub--it is a different process.
      The soap is not only lighter then the water but the
      soap bubbles also make the soap lighter, less dense.
      So the soap forms a thin coat of bubbles and soap on
      the top of the entire bath. Eventially the bubbles
      settle out, and you may have the soap on the top, but
      the soap is spread throughout the top of the bath
      water. <br><br>Only with time does the ring form. I
      don't offhand know the soap chemistry, but I wouldn't
      be surprised if there was an adhesion property
      involved in getting the soap to accummulate along the side
      of the tub--taking from the floating mass.
      Eventially, the top layer of soap on top of the bath water
      thins out as it gathers with the soap on the bath tub
      ring. When the water is drained, you can really see the
      soap ringing around the bath tub.<br><br>With the
      methane hydrates "ring", the bath water is salt water, so
      it is a little different because ocean water density
      is stratified by salinity and temperature. And the
      soap is sand, ditrimus, methane hydrate, and
      methanogen. The composit of these items has a meaningful
      density if it can suspend at a specific place in the
      density stratified ocean. Put another way, this infers a
      meaningful aspect of the methanogen habitat is suspended at
      a strata or layer of the oceans, just like soap
      sits on top of the bathtub even before there are
      rings.
      Message 702 of 702 , Mar 1, 2002
        On Feb 28th, the Interplanetary Magnetic Field
        swung to a strong south-pointing orientation. That,
        coupled with an elevated solar wind speed and density,
        triggered a G-1 class geomagnetic storm. The result was
        some high latitude aurora. See this link for a
        photgraph of aurora observed over Quebec :
        namely 9839, 9842, and 9845, that appear to be capable
        of producing M-class flares. Regions 9839 and 9842
        are close to rotating out of view over the western
        limb of the solar disk. Sunspot region 9845, however,
        is close to the sun's central meridian. A rather
        large coronal hole is also approaching the sun's
        central meridian, and coming into an Earth-pointing
        position. High speed colar wind gusts are likely around the
        first of next week.<br><br>The current solar and
        geomagnetic conditions are :<br><br>NOAA sunspot number :
        wind speed : 372.3 km/sec<br>Solar wind density : 4.4
        the last 24 hours : <br>Solar activity was low. The
        geomagnetic field was quiet to unsettled. Stratwarm Alert
        exists Friday.<br><br>Forecast for the next 24 hours
        :<br>Solar activity will be low to moderate. The geomagnetic
        field will be quiet to unsettled.<br><br>Solar Activity
        Forecast :<br>Solar activity is expected to be low to
        moderate for the next three days. Region 9845 is a
        possible source for isolated M-class
        is expected to be mainly quiet to unsettled, until
        the onset of high speed stream effects from a
        recurrent coronal hole begin to develop by day three of the
        forecast period. Isolated active conditions are
        anticipated thereafter.<br><br>Recent significant solar flare
        activity :<br>None