Re: Kyoto and Japan

  • Pawnfart
    Message 1 of 702 , Jan 3, 2002
      It appears that Japan as well, then, does like us
      subsidize fossil fuel consumption with free roads.<br><br>I
      support the treaty, but I think it is much more important
      to get at the public policy roots of stuff like
      driving TWICE as much in the past decade alone, consuming
      25% of the world's energy with 5% of the population,
      and the best starting point is our free roads. Here
      is a good
      density growth "road fascism". The sprawl caused by it
      has not only caused our cities and small towns to
      rot, but now we have a Walmart Enronomy that is
      rotting the entire nation. And yes, it is causing a
      climate and ecological catastrophie.
      Message 702 of 702 , Mar 1, 2002
        On Feb 28th, the Interplanetary Magnetic Field
        swung to a strong south-pointing orientation. That,
        coupled with an elevated solar wind speed and density,
        triggered a G-1 class geomagnetic storm. The result was
        some high latitude aurora. See this link for a
        photgraph of aurora observed over Quebec :
        namely 9839, 9842, and 9845, that appear to be capable
        of producing M-class flares. Regions 9839 and 9842
        are close to rotating out of view over the western
        limb of the solar disk. Sunspot region 9845, however,
        is close to the sun's central meridian. A rather
        large coronal hole is also approaching the sun's
        central meridian, and coming into an Earth-pointing
        position. High speed colar wind gusts are likely around the
        first of next week.<br><br>The current solar and
        geomagnetic conditions are :<br><br>NOAA sunspot number :
        wind speed : 372.3 km/sec<br>Solar wind density : 4.4
        the last 24 hours : <br>Solar activity was low. The
        geomagnetic field was quiet to unsettled. Stratwarm Alert
        exists Friday.<br><br>Forecast for the next 24 hours
        :<br>Solar activity will be low to moderate. The geomagnetic
        field will be quiet to unsettled.<br><br>Solar Activity
        Forecast :<br>Solar activity is expected to be low to
        moderate for the next three days. Region 9845 is a
        possible source for isolated M-class
        is expected to be mainly quiet to unsettled, until
        the onset of high speed stream effects from a
        recurrent coronal hole begin to develop by day three of the
        forecast period. Isolated active conditions are
        anticipated thereafter.<br><br>Recent significant solar flare
        activity :<br>None