Re: Kyoto and Japan

  • shotsky1
    Message 1 of 702 , Jan 3, 2002
      <It's like the irrational behavior of a drug
      addict.><br><br>More like waking from a drug induced stupor - "WHAT
      were we THINKING?" Does anyone think that adopting the
      Kyoto protocol would do anything for climate, or earth
      in general? It wouldn't. Therefore, it should not be
      adopted. Period. It's a waste of time, energy and money,
      and it focuses us on the wrong things.<br><br>If we
      (all) put our force behind reduction of *real*
      pollution, however, we would make *real* progress, and the
      earth, with all its current and future inhabitants,
      would benefit. <br><br>If we don't focus on CO2, but
      instead focus on all the other, real, man-made
      pollutants, which we can measure easily, we can achieve the
      exact same goals that CO2 reduction is supposed to
      bring - the switch to non-polluting energy systems.
      Simply put, there is no way to continue to fuel our
      societies with coal, oil, gas and nuclear without massive
      amounts of pollution being generated.<br><br>The
      difference is that we would be able to measure our progress,
      and that all countries would have to be involved, not
      just the most highly developed ones.<br><br>Clean air,
      water and earth (and all its inhabitants, including
      people, animals, plants, etc) would result, making us
      good stewards, which we certainly are not, at present.
      And yes, man-made CO2 emissions would also go down,
      eventually more than Kyoto calls for.<br><br>Said yet
      another way - controlling pollution is a much more
      tangible goal than controlling CO2. Pollution is not
      controversial, in the sense that no one can deny its presence
      and the damage it does every day. It kills millions
      of people per year, and wipes out whole species of
      animals and plants. <br><br>Also - pollution management
      is controllable - you can FIND pollution and
      polluters, and punish them appropriately. Not so easy, or
      even practical with CO2, as our experience with China
      should show us...
      Message 702 of 702 , Mar 1 9:47 PM
        On Feb 28th, the Interplanetary Magnetic Field
        swung to a strong south-pointing orientation. That,
        coupled with an elevated solar wind speed and density,
        triggered a G-1 class geomagnetic storm. The result was
        some high latitude aurora. See this link for a
        photgraph of aurora observed over Quebec :
        namely 9839, 9842, and 9845, that appear to be capable
        of producing M-class flares. Regions 9839 and 9842
        are close to rotating out of view over the western
        limb of the solar disk. Sunspot region 9845, however,
        is close to the sun's central meridian. A rather
        large coronal hole is also approaching the sun's
        central meridian, and coming into an Earth-pointing
        position. High speed colar wind gusts are likely around the
        first of next week.<br><br>The current solar and
        geomagnetic conditions are :<br><br>NOAA sunspot number :
        wind speed : 372.3 km/sec<br>Solar wind density : 4.4
        the last 24 hours : <br>Solar activity was low. The
        geomagnetic field was quiet to unsettled. Stratwarm Alert
        exists Friday.<br><br>Forecast for the next 24 hours
        :<br>Solar activity will be low to moderate. The geomagnetic
        field will be quiet to unsettled.<br><br>Solar Activity
        Forecast :<br>Solar activity is expected to be low to
        moderate for the next three days. Region 9845 is a
        possible source for isolated M-class
        is expected to be mainly quiet to unsettled, until
        the onset of high speed stream effects from a
        recurrent coronal hole begin to develop by day three of the
        forecast period. Isolated active conditions are
        anticipated thereafter.<br><br>Recent significant solar flare
        activity :<br>None