Bjorn free, as free as the wind blows .

  • Pawnfart
    Message 1 of 702 , Dec 21, 2001
      BJORN@... >Subject: Critique of Lomborg in Scientific
      American >Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 > >Dear Sir or
      Madam. > >For one reason or another I have
      e-mailed with you on my book the >Skeptical
      Environmentalist. It has taken quite a beating in some >media,
      though the critique seems rather non-scientifically
      motivated >(if you care to, you can see my response to
      e.g. the Nature review at >my web-site, below).
      However, Scientific American now wants to top >this
      critique by publishing 11 pages of four very negative
      reviews >along with a negative editorial in their
      up-coming January issue. >Notice the heading: "Science
      defends itself against the Skeptical
      >Environmentalist." Naturally, I plan to write a rebuttal to be put
      on >my web-site. > >However, I would also
      love your input to the issues -- maybe you can
      >contest some of the arguments in the SA pieces, alone or
      together >with other academics. Perhaps you have good
      ideas to counter a >specific argument. Perhaps you
      know of someone else that might be >ideal to talk
      to or get to write a counter-piece. Generally, it
      seems >to me that it is necessary to contest the
      general proposition that >this is science defending
      itself rather it seems to be >environmentalism
      defending itself (and actually rather badly)?! > >You
      can download the final page proof reviews from
      thoughts, as well as any other good >people, ideas,
      suggestions, etc. > >best > >bjorn > >Bjorn
      Lomborg >Associate Professor, Dept. of Political
      Science, University of Aarhus >DK-8000 Aarhus C,
      Denmark, Phone (cell): +45 2099 6060
      "skeptics" and Carbon Clubbers address Gaia/methanogens and
      methane hydrates and electrical fields and cirrus cloud
      behavior and solar flaring modulation--their books and
      reviews are WORTHLESS! <br>Furthermore, both seem to
      complain about Lindzen's iris. Well, what about DIRECTION
      OF WIND AND CURRENT and flaring and biological
      modulation and Gaia feedbacks!!!!! It's not just the
      CO2--which warms SSTs and makes the oceans have more
      extremes of specific conductivity, but the fact that CO2
      is methanogen food. And damming rivers hides the
      severity of the climate problem and create new aspects of
      it. <br><br>The human population is urinating in its
      IV bag planet eart and our smartest are dumb.
      Message 702 of 702 , Mar 1, 2002
        On Feb 28th, the Interplanetary Magnetic Field
        swung to a strong south-pointing orientation. That,
        coupled with an elevated solar wind speed and density,
        triggered a G-1 class geomagnetic storm. The result was
        some high latitude aurora. See this link for a
        photgraph of aurora observed over Quebec :
        namely 9839, 9842, and 9845, that appear to be capable
        of producing M-class flares. Regions 9839 and 9842
        are close to rotating out of view over the western
        limb of the solar disk. Sunspot region 9845, however,
        is close to the sun's central meridian. A rather
        large coronal hole is also approaching the sun's
        central meridian, and coming into an Earth-pointing
        position. High speed colar wind gusts are likely around the
        first of next week.<br><br>The current solar and
        geomagnetic conditions are :<br><br>NOAA sunspot number :
        wind speed : 372.3 km/sec<br>Solar wind density : 4.4
        the last 24 hours : <br>Solar activity was low. The
        geomagnetic field was quiet to unsettled. Stratwarm Alert
        exists Friday.<br><br>Forecast for the next 24 hours
        :<br>Solar activity will be low to moderate. The geomagnetic
        field will be quiet to unsettled.<br><br>Solar Activity
        Forecast :<br>Solar activity is expected to be low to
        moderate for the next three days. Region 9845 is a
        possible source for isolated M-class
        is expected to be mainly quiet to unsettled, until
        the onset of high speed stream effects from a
        recurrent coronal hole begin to develop by day three of the
        forecast period. Isolated active conditions are
        anticipated thereafter.<br><br>Recent significant solar flare
        activity :<br>None