Re: It ain't lies about sex!

  • Pawnfart
    Message 1 of 702 , Dec 7, 2001
      I wrote back:<br><br>Sallie Baliunas works for
      fossil fuel and she is one of those I distrust the
      moment she opens her mouth or types a word. Lindzen is
      another case. (I should mention I do this as a hobby and
      am not paid by anyone or institution for my views).
      Perhaps you can defend fellow MIT's Lindzen's iris paper
      for me. <br><br>What is it about the data set in
      Lindzen's iris paper would cause west moving winds to
      create more cirrus clouds and east, less? Lindzen's
      paper on iris is available at
      link "print version" leads to a PDF of the full
      article. Why would it be significant that the equatorial
      current there is over deep waters, lacks methanogen
      activity, and studied during La Nina conditions? And given,
      as I predicted this spring the rest of the tropics
      behaves differently relativelt to Ci clouds, what further
      does this say about what could be causing the 'iris'?
      Why did his paper ignore direction of sustained wind
      and current that is the obvious driving force behind
      the relationship he finds. <br><br>Note that <a
      href="<a href=http://www.sciam.com/2001/1101issue/1101profile.html target=new>http://www.sciam.com/2001/1101issue/1101profile.html</a>">Bruce A. Wielicki of the NASA Langley Research Center
      believes that the images were not representative of the
      entire tropics. Using data from a different satellite,
      Wielicki and his group conclude, in a paper to appear in
      the Journal of Climate, that, on balance, warmer
      tropical clouds would have a slight heating, not a
      differences between Wielicki's view and your fellow there at
      MIT. If I am really good at selecting and
      misrepresenting data like he did in his 'iris' paper, can I too
      have the ear of the President? Weekly meetings,
      perhaps? Get paid top bucks from oil interests? Or do I
      have to go to MIT first? Or perhaps just be good at
      saying what Bush wants me to say? Dang, I guess I
      wouldn't qualify on all three items. But you, hey, you're
      an MIT boy. Gives you all sorts of credibility.
      means you are GOD and your word be truth.
      Bllllllllaaaaaaaah. <br><br>Yes, sir, nothing like a little data
      selection and misrepresentation to make your day. <br><br>I
      forgot about Lindzen's talents as used right before the
      election (you know, that contest decided by a 100 votes)
      to testify in front of Congress about his 'iris'.
      Wow. No that wasn't politically motivated 'science',
      personal and not relevant sexual encounter in a
      politically motivated malicious and meritless civil case--he
      gets impeached. But when a 'respected' MIT Professor
      lies--he becomes a Maverick and gets to teach the
      President about climate and makes big money.
      Message 702 of 702 , Mar 1, 2002
        On Feb 28th, the Interplanetary Magnetic Field
        swung to a strong south-pointing orientation. That,
        coupled with an elevated solar wind speed and density,
        triggered a G-1 class geomagnetic storm. The result was
        some high latitude aurora. See this link for a
        photgraph of aurora observed over Quebec :
        namely 9839, 9842, and 9845, that appear to be capable
        of producing M-class flares. Regions 9839 and 9842
        are close to rotating out of view over the western
        limb of the solar disk. Sunspot region 9845, however,
        is close to the sun's central meridian. A rather
        large coronal hole is also approaching the sun's
        central meridian, and coming into an Earth-pointing
        position. High speed colar wind gusts are likely around the
        first of next week.<br><br>The current solar and
        geomagnetic conditions are :<br><br>NOAA sunspot number :
        wind speed : 372.3 km/sec<br>Solar wind density : 4.4
        the last 24 hours : <br>Solar activity was low. The
        geomagnetic field was quiet to unsettled. Stratwarm Alert
        exists Friday.<br><br>Forecast for the next 24 hours
        :<br>Solar activity will be low to moderate. The geomagnetic
        field will be quiet to unsettled.<br><br>Solar Activity
        Forecast :<br>Solar activity is expected to be low to
        moderate for the next three days. Region 9845 is a
        possible source for isolated M-class
        is expected to be mainly quiet to unsettled, until
        the onset of high speed stream effects from a
        recurrent coronal hole begin to develop by day three of the
        forecast period. Isolated active conditions are
        anticipated thereafter.<br><br>Recent significant solar flare
        activity :<br>None