It ain't lies about sex!

  • Pawnfart
    Message 1 of 702 , Dec 7, 2001
      Today I got an reply from another bb about the
      things that are posted here:<br><br>Dear [Yours Truly],
      the mind of a scientist, whomever you may be.
      Otherwise your jottings here are often interesting. (Your
      earlier flippant derogations of Sallie Baliunas and the
      brilliant maverick Richard Lindzen may serve to illuminate
      my first point.) <br><br>As I commented earlier
      today in a letter to my friend Baliunas, �Mars has its
      rhythms, as does any planet; that reported here may not be
      of great consequence for understanding the Earth,
      but then again it may! I await the Science article to
      see the rates and bounds found or implied in these
      changes, and whether they may have domestic significance
      after all.� <br><br>The seemingly HINTED rate of change
      in the admittedly technically bare New York Times
      article, or another from the Associated Press, would not
      be that expected, or perhaps even derivable, from
      Martian celestial mechanics. But the problem may still
      lie in the vagaries of journalism. <br><br>� Patrick
      Gunkel, MIT <br><br>My response is on the next post.
      Message 702 of 702 , Mar 1 9:47 PM
        On Feb 28th, the Interplanetary Magnetic Field
        swung to a strong south-pointing orientation. That,
        coupled with an elevated solar wind speed and density,
        triggered a G-1 class geomagnetic storm. The result was
        some high latitude aurora. See this link for a
        photgraph of aurora observed over Quebec :
        namely 9839, 9842, and 9845, that appear to be capable
        of producing M-class flares. Regions 9839 and 9842
        are close to rotating out of view over the western
        limb of the solar disk. Sunspot region 9845, however,
        is close to the sun's central meridian. A rather
        large coronal hole is also approaching the sun's
        central meridian, and coming into an Earth-pointing
        position. High speed colar wind gusts are likely around the
        first of next week.<br><br>The current solar and
        geomagnetic conditions are :<br><br>NOAA sunspot number :
        wind speed : 372.3 km/sec<br>Solar wind density : 4.4
        the last 24 hours : <br>Solar activity was low. The
        geomagnetic field was quiet to unsettled. Stratwarm Alert
        exists Friday.<br><br>Forecast for the next 24 hours
        :<br>Solar activity will be low to moderate. The geomagnetic
        field will be quiet to unsettled.<br><br>Solar Activity
        Forecast :<br>Solar activity is expected to be low to
        moderate for the next three days. Region 9845 is a
        possible source for isolated M-class
        is expected to be mainly quiet to unsettled, until
        the onset of high speed stream effects from a
        recurrent coronal hole begin to develop by day three of the
        forecast period. Isolated active conditions are
        anticipated thereafter.<br><br>Recent significant solar flare
        activity :<br>None