Re: Magnetic north and geo north

  • Pawnfart
    Message 1 of 702 , Dec 6, 2001
      Fred,<br><br>I am not sure you are tracking what
      I am saying about Lindzen's paper. His paper did
      NOT contain El Nino data. Repeat, it did not.
      Further, it was a study of the WEST tropical Pacific! My
      observation was that the warmer SSTs moved EAST with the
      Equatorial, whereas the colder moved WEST. During El Nino,
      that isn't the case. What I am saying about his data
      and the inverse relationship between "SSTs" and cloud
      wieghted cirrus is that what he is really noting is
      direction of current and induction. El Nino is a flaring
      event and hence the winds don't depend, certainly as it
      is initiated, on the direction of ocean current.
      Later, the SSTs really do begin to conform to direction
      of wind and current--see the picture on on
      club.<br><br>So I don't understand what you are saying.
      Message 702 of 702 , Mar 1, 2002
        On Feb 28th, the Interplanetary Magnetic Field
        swung to a strong south-pointing orientation. That,
        coupled with an elevated solar wind speed and density,
        triggered a G-1 class geomagnetic storm. The result was
        some high latitude aurora. See this link for a
        photgraph of aurora observed over Quebec :
        namely 9839, 9842, and 9845, that appear to be capable
        of producing M-class flares. Regions 9839 and 9842
        are close to rotating out of view over the western
        limb of the solar disk. Sunspot region 9845, however,
        is close to the sun's central meridian. A rather
        large coronal hole is also approaching the sun's
        central meridian, and coming into an Earth-pointing
        position. High speed colar wind gusts are likely around the
        first of next week.<br><br>The current solar and
        geomagnetic conditions are :<br><br>NOAA sunspot number :
        wind speed : 372.3 km/sec<br>Solar wind density : 4.4
        the last 24 hours : <br>Solar activity was low. The
        geomagnetic field was quiet to unsettled. Stratwarm Alert
        exists Friday.<br><br>Forecast for the next 24 hours
        :<br>Solar activity will be low to moderate. The geomagnetic
        field will be quiet to unsettled.<br><br>Solar Activity
        Forecast :<br>Solar activity is expected to be low to
        moderate for the next three days. Region 9845 is a
        possible source for isolated M-class
        is expected to be mainly quiet to unsettled, until
        the onset of high speed stream effects from a
        recurrent coronal hole begin to develop by day three of the
        forecast period. Isolated active conditions are
        anticipated thereafter.<br><br>Recent significant solar flare
        activity :<br>None