    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2006
      Well, depending on whom you ask, we're either at solar minimum, at the
      beginning of solar minimum, or months away from it. Here's what we do
      know. 21 of February's 28 days were sunspot-free. According to
      Spaceweather.com, that marked the beginning of solar minimum. It
      should continue for several more months. However, I read a story
      today about how the solar minimum may be a year away, and that the
      next solar maximum may be a doozy!

      http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/space/03/07/solar.storm.ap/index.html

      If the article is correct, the solar minimum is a year away, and the
      ramp-up for cycle 24 is going to be late in coming. The problem with
      that is you can't argue with the numbers and it's sort of hard to get
      less than zero, which is what we saw during a large part of February.
      Personally, I think we're going to start seeing the sunspot numbers
      rise by the end of the year. Time will tell.

      There's nothing really noteworthy to report in the way of current
      activity, so I'll just go straight into the current conditions.

      SFI : 72 (I'll be interested to see if this drops below 70)

      Solar wind speed : 361.6

      IMF Orientation : 6.3 nT North

      GOES-12 Background X-ray Flux level : A0

      Solar activity is expected to remain very low.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be quiet to unsettled for the
      next three days. Isolated periods of active conditions are possible
      due to a favorably positioned coronal hole.