Re: Bush administration bombs again

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2006
      From a standpoint of adding energy to a hurricane, the bomb is not
      significant. Perhaps the idea is if there is a low pressure area if
      you add air to that low pressure in the form of a solid that burns to
      a gas, you have a higher pressure, lower wind gradiants, and the
      hurricane weakens. The idea is simple--but flawed.

      This discussion on adding pressure ignores that in the process of
      adding air you are also adding chemistry and particles to the air.
      This is what I can tell you based on what I am studying--from my
      eyes. Hurricane Andrew was a 5 mesovortice hurricane. It is a
      signifant hurricane from an ELECTRICAL standpoint because it occurred
      shortly after a volcano called Mt. Pinatubo blew and added huge
      amounts of SOx chemistry into the atmosphere. The chemistry is added
      to the forming cloud droplets, and when those droplets are in a
      magnetic field, the ions tend to migrate to the poles of their
      microfields, and that changes the droplet morphology--how added water
      molecules bond to the droplet. Then that impacts phase change rates,
      and on larger scales, how clouds behave. The bomb would have the
      exact wrong impact, IMHO, likely bringing winds down closer to the
      surface. A hurricane called Bret which occurred a few years after
      Andrew had the same landfalling barametric pressure, but its surface
      winds inland near its core were about 75 mph--with winds aloft much
      higher.

      --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Doran"
      <narodaleahcim@...> wrote:

      > http://newtechspy.com/articles06/operationdarksky.html
      >
      > quote:
      > ----------
      > US to test MOAB, *Mother of all Bombs* on Hurricanes---In an effort
      > to combat the devastating effects of category 5 hurricanes, New
      Tech
      > Spy has learned from well connected DoD sources, that the US
      > Department of Homeland Security has teamed with the US Air Force,
      in
      > a secret mission called "Operation Dark Sky". Dark Sky's purpose is
      > to test the effectiveness of the newly developed MOAB fuel air
      > explosive on the destructive eye wall of selected hurricanes, in an
      > effort to disrupt the central core's development and diminish its
      > intensity. The program will begin this summer, primarily in the
      Gulf
      > of Mexico, and extend through the 2006 hurricane season. ---The GBU-
      > 43/B (MOAB), "Mother of all bombs" was developed in the run-up to
      the
      > Iraq war, but was never used in battle. The 21,000 pound fuel air
      > bomb works by first dispersing an aerosol cloud of tritonal, which
      is
      > then set off by a secondary explosion. The force of the explosion
      > creates a massive pressure wave unlike that of any other
      conventional
      > bomb, and makes it an ideal platform for US scientists to test on
      the
      > different types of atmospheric conditions created in a hurricane. --
      -
      > The initial program calls for five GBU-43's to be dropped in 30
      > minute intervals on the leading eye wall of the hurricane.
      Specially
      > modified C-130 aircraft will deliver the satellite-guided bombs in
      > altitudes ranging from 8,000 to 30,000 feet, the effect will be
      > measured by hurricane hunter planes and weather satellites. The
      > secret operation will not be disclosed to the American people
      unless
      > it is a complete success, but that might not be known for months or
      > perhaps even years of study, which will certainly add to the
      intrigue
      > and speculation surrounding "Dark Sky", America's big little
      secret.

      > 2.27.06
      > ----------
      >

      > Comment:
      >
      > Unbelievable stupidity.
      >
      > This again shows the ignorance of this administration--considering
      > that hurricanes are about baratropical features (pressure, heat)
      when

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2006
        <narodaleahcim@...> wrote:

        > From a standpoint of adding energy to a hurricane, the bomb is not
        > significant. Perhaps the idea is if there is a low pressure area if
        > you add air to that low pressure in the form of a solid that burns to
        > a gas, you have a higher pressure, lower wind gradiants, and the
        > hurricane weakens. The idea is simple--but flawed.

        I tend to agree with you. Considering the energies at work in even a
        minimal hurricane, I don't see how a bomb like the MOAB could have the
        slightest effect. For that matter, I doubt even a nuclear weapon
        would have much effect at all. I'm not familiar with the source you
        quoted, but to be completely honest, I don't believe a word of it.