Bush administration bombs again

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2006
      http://newtechspy.com/articles06/operationdarksky.html

      quote:
      ----------
      US to test MOAB, *Mother of all Bombs* on Hurricanes---In an effort
      to combat the devastating effects of category 5 hurricanes, New Tech
      Spy has learned from well connected DoD sources, that the US
      Department of Homeland Security has teamed with the US Air Force, in
      a secret mission called "Operation Dark Sky". Dark Sky's purpose is
      to test the effectiveness of the newly developed MOAB fuel air
      explosive on the destructive eye wall of selected hurricanes, in an
      effort to disrupt the central core's development and diminish its
      intensity. The program will begin this summer, primarily in the Gulf
      of Mexico, and extend through the 2006 hurricane season. ---The GBU-
      43/B (MOAB), "Mother of all bombs" was developed in the run-up to the
      Iraq war, but was never used in battle. The 21,000 pound fuel air
      bomb works by first dispersing an aerosol cloud of tritonal, which is
      then set off by a secondary explosion. The force of the explosion
      creates a massive pressure wave unlike that of any other conventional
      bomb, and makes it an ideal platform for US scientists to test on the
      different types of atmospheric conditions created in a hurricane. ---
      The initial program calls for five GBU-43's to be dropped in 30
      minute intervals on the leading eye wall of the hurricane. Specially
      modified C-130 aircraft will deliver the satellite-guided bombs in
      altitudes ranging from 8,000 to 30,000 feet, the effect will be
      measured by hurricane hunter planes and weather satellites. The
      secret operation will not be disclosed to the American people unless
      it is a complete success, but that might not be known for months or
      perhaps even years of study, which will certainly add to the intrigue
      and speculation surrounding "Dark Sky", America's big little secret.

      2.27.06
      ----------

      Comment:

      Unbelievable stupidity.

      This again shows the ignorance of this administration--considering
      that hurricanes are about baratropical features (pressure, heat) when
      the could microphysics are organized electrically. Paradoxically, the
      added chemistry of this bomb inside the center of the storm may later
      impact cloud microphysics to make the storm WORSE in terms of surface
      winds and intensities!

      Again, in the DC field the super cooled cloud droplet will add
      additional water vapor molecules based on in part the migration of
      ions by their size, shape, mass and charge. When you add the
      chemistry of the bomb to the cloud levels, you are going to change
      how quickly the DC field can self organize the cloud droplets . . .
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2006
        From a standpoint of adding energy to a hurricane, the bomb is not
        significant. Perhaps the idea is if there is a low pressure area if
        you add air to that low pressure in the form of a solid that burns to
        a gas, you have a higher pressure, lower wind gradiants, and the
        hurricane weakens. The idea is simple--but flawed.

        This discussion on adding pressure ignores that in the process of
        adding air you are also adding chemistry and particles to the air.
        This is what I can tell you based on what I am studying--from my
        eyes. Hurricane Andrew was a 5 mesovortice hurricane. It is a
        signifant hurricane from an ELECTRICAL standpoint because it occurred
        shortly after a volcano called Mt. Pinatubo blew and added huge
        amounts of SOx chemistry into the atmosphere. The chemistry is added
        to the forming cloud droplets, and when those droplets are in a
        magnetic field, the ions tend to migrate to the poles of their
        microfields, and that changes the droplet morphology--how added water
        molecules bond to the droplet. Then that impacts phase change rates,
        and on larger scales, how clouds behave. The bomb would have the
        exact wrong impact, IMHO, likely bringing winds down closer to the
        surface. A hurricane called Bret which occurred a few years after
        Andrew had the same landfalling barametric pressure, but its surface
        winds inland near its core were about 75 mph--with winds aloft much
        higher.

        --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Doran"

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2006
          <narodaleahcim@...> wrote:

          > From a standpoint of adding energy to a hurricane, the bomb is not
          > significant. Perhaps the idea is if there is a low pressure area if
          > you add air to that low pressure in the form of a solid that burns to
          > a gas, you have a higher pressure, lower wind gradiants, and the
          > hurricane weakens. The idea is simple--but flawed.

          I tend to agree with you. Considering the energies at work in even a
          minimal hurricane, I don't see how a bomb like the MOAB could have the
          slightest effect. For that matter, I doubt even a nuclear weapon
          would have much effect at all. I'm not familiar with the source you
          quoted, but to be completely honest, I don't believe a word of it.