    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2006
      Well, the sunspot region I mentioned in my last report didn't create
      any significant flares. Now, the solar disk is totally blank...no
      sunspots visible. Can you tell we're close to solar minimum? In
      fact, we may be at it now. Here's a quote from an interesting aticle
      from NASA.

      "Hathaway and colleague Bob Wilson, both working at NASA's Marshall
      Space Flight Center, believe they've found a simple way to predict the
      date of the next solar minimum. "We examined data from the last 8
      solar cycles and discovered that Solar Min follows the first spotless
      day after Solar Max by 34 months," explains Hathaway.

      The most recent solar maximum was in late 2000. The first spotless day
      after that was Jan 28, 2004. So, using Hathaway and Wilson's simple
      rule, solar minimum should arrive in late 2006. That's about a year
      earlier than previously thought."

      http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2004/18oct_solarminimum.htm

      Watch for a big flare over the next couple of months. For whatever
      reason, the last several solar minima have seen X-class flares creates
      almost right at the time of the minimum.

      There is a small coronal hole that is rotating into an Earth-pointing
      position. We could see some solar wind gusts from it on the 2nd or 3rd.

      IMF Orientation : 0.3 nT South

      GOES-12 Background X-ray Flux level : A4

      Solar activity is expected to be very low.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be quiet to unsettled.