Re: Solar Activity Report for 12/12/05

  • space1weather
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 22, 2005

      > > David,
      > >

      > > Region 835 is not a reverse polarity group so it's latitude
      location
      > > is somewhat meaningless. Plus N18 is no big deal. There probably
      > > have been about 7-10 this year already with a higher latitude.
      > > Although I have not seen one in the past 2-3 months or more.
      > >
      > > The new groups will eventually start showing up in the 25-35
      > > latitude range or even higher. Now there have been a few reverse
      > > polarity groups already in the past year or so but they were at
      the
      > > lower latitudes.
      > >
      > > I thought July 2007 could end up being solar minimum so we could
      > > very well start to see some new cycle groups show up in the next
      3-6
      > > months. A few of the recent sunspot cycles had new groups show
      up
      > > about 12-18 months before minimum. The time frame would be
      pushed
      > > back of course if the next minimum was much later than July
      > > 2007.
      > >

      > According to this, the minimum is supposed to come about a year
      from
      > now. Personally, and this is just a hunch with no hard evidence to
      > back it up, I think we're going to see it earlier rather than
      later.

      Well we would be seeing a fairly high smoothed monthly low then
      around solar minimum. Cycle 19 had that and we saw the highest
      sunspot activity level ever. I would hate to rely on this one
      example as a forecasting parameter but OTOH I might give it some
      weight since I think the overall long term cycle pattern points
      towards an increase. We could end up seeing a good light show David
      if your thoughts are correct.

      Jim