Jim, care to make a prediction?

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 20, 2005
      Cycle 23 peaked lower than Cycle 22, which peaked lower than Cycle 21.
      I say the trend continues. How about you? Think we'll see another
      double-peak cycle?
    • space1weather
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 22, 2005

        > Cycle 23 peaked lower than Cycle 22, which peaked lower than Cycle
        21.
        > I say the trend continues. How about you? Think we'll see another
        > double-peak cycle?

        I will officially be making a Cycle 24 forecast some time in late 2006
        but I will have to rely on the memory of my extensive sunspot cycle
        research in the mid 90's if you want one now.

        I thought that Gleisberg Cycle's would bottom out with higher lows
        between now and 2500 AD and this is why Cycle 23, while low, was not
        all that low, compared to the prior cycle activity early last century.

        So Cycle 24 should not be much lower than 23 and I think it has a very
        good chance of exceeding 23. Let's watch how the magnetic strength of
        the poles changes throughout 2006.

        A double peak looks likely when you take into consideration the
        current cycle length and the planets effect upon this. You would
        probably need to see Cycle 23's length either reach or exceed the 13
        year mark for this pattern to change.

        Jim
      • space1weather
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 22, 2005

          > > David,
          > >

          > > Region 835 is not a reverse polarity group so it's latitude
          location
          > > is somewhat meaningless. Plus N18 is no big deal. There probably
          > > have been about 7-10 this year already with a higher latitude.
          > > Although I have not seen one in the past 2-3 months or more.
          > >
          > > The new groups will eventually start showing up in the 25-35
          > > latitude range or even higher. Now there have been a few reverse
          > > polarity groups already in the past year or so but they were at
          the
          > > lower latitudes.
          > >
          > > I thought July 2007 could end up being solar minimum so we could
          > > very well start to see some new cycle groups show up in the next
          3-6
          > > months. A few of the recent sunspot cycles had new groups show
          up
          > > about 12-18 months before minimum. The time frame would be
          pushed
          > > back of course if the next minimum was much later than July
          > > 2007.
          > >

          > According to this, the minimum is supposed to come about a year
          from
          > now. Personally, and this is just a hunch with no hard evidence to
          > back it up, I think we're going to see it earlier rather than
          later.

          Well we would be seeing a fairly high smoothed monthly low then
          around solar minimum. Cycle 19 had that and we saw the highest
          sunspot activity level ever. I would hate to rely on this one
          example as a forecasting parameter but OTOH I might give it some
          weight since I think the overall long term cycle pattern points
          towards an increase. We could end up seeing a good light show David
          if your thoughts are correct.

          Jim