    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 22, 2005
      CRAP! I had no idea it had been so long since I posted one of these.
      I really need to do this more regularly. Sorry about that, folks.
      There's been some good stuff happening, too.

      Sunspot region 822 came on the scene, and fired off a series of
      M-class flares over the course of several days. None of them were of
      the long-duration variety, however, and no strong CME's were observed.
      Likewise, there wasn't any significant geomagnetic activity
      associated. At the present time, sunspot region 822 is still there,
      and is big enough to be naked eye visible. It has, however, decreased
      in magnetic complexity, although there is still a slight chance for
      another M-class flare. There's a small coronal hole that has rotated
      into an Earth-pointing position, and we could see some mild solar wind
      gusts from it starting tomorrow.

      There's one thing visible now that I believe is noteworthy. It's
      sunspot region 823. In and of itself, it's quite unremarkable. What
      is interesting is where it is. As a sunspot cycle progresses,
      sunspots make a steady progression from occurring at about 30 degrees
      latitude to almost at the solar equator. Sunspot regions 822 and and
      824 are very close to the equator. So where is region 823? At about
      30 degrees latitude. There is always some overlap from one sunspot
      cycle to the next, and it is common to see sunspots appearing at the
      higher latitudes at the same time you see others near the equator.
      What's interesting is that this is the first one I've seen in a long,
      long time at such a high latitude. Is this first sign of Cycle 24
      getting ready to start? Time will tell, but it is getting to be about
      the time one would expect to see it. Stay tuned!!

      IMF Orientation : 5.6 nT South

      GOES-12 Background X-ray Flux level : A8

      Solar activity is expected to be at very low to low levels with a
      slight chance for M-class activity from Region 822.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be at quiet to unsettled levels.