    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 12, 2005
      The Earth has been moving through a high-speed solar wind stream
      coming from a coronal hole the past few days, but no significant
      geomagnetic activity was observed. The solar wind speed is now in the
      400/kmsec neighborhood and slowing. Sumspot region 822 came very
      close to hitting the significant flare mark with a C-9 class event.
      The background X-ray flux has actually risen fairly dramatically over
      the last couple of days. We may see it going back down as region 822
      rotates out of view over the western limb of the solar disk.

      IMF Orientation : 1.0 nT South

      GOES-12 Background X-ray Flux level : B1

      Solar activity is expected to be very low to low. Continued C-class
      flares are possible from Region 822.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be quiet to unsettled.

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 14, 2005
        Once it dropped over 500 you start to see the powering thunderstorms
        and the organization of Gamma. Of interest is that there was
        formation in the W. Pac too.

        > The Earth has been moving through a high-speed solar wind stream
        > coming from a coronal hole the past few days, but no significant
        > geomagnetic activity was observed. The solar wind speed is now in
        the
        > 400/kmsec neighborhood and slowing. Sumspot region 822 came very
        > close to hitting the significant flare mark with a C-9 class event.
        > The background X-ray flux has actually risen fairly dramatically
        over
        > the last couple of days. We may see it going back down as region
        822
        > rotates out of view over the western limb of the solar disk.
        >
        > The current solar and geomagnetic conditions are :
        >
        > NOAA sunspot number : 11
        > SFI : 83
        > A index : 10
        > K index : 3
        >
        > Solar wind speed : 422.7 km/sec
        > Solar wind density : 4.1 protons/cc
        > Solar wind pressure : 1.2 nPa
        >
        > IMF : 7.2 nT
        > IMF Orientation : 1.0 nT South
        >
        > GOES-12 Background X-ray Flux level : B1
        >
        > Conditions for the last 24 hours :
        > No space weather storms were observed for the past 24 hours.
        >
        > Forecast for the next 24 hours :
        > No space weather storms are expected for the next 24 hours.
        >
        > Solar activity forecast :
        > Solar activity is expected to be very low to low. Continued C-class
        > flares are possible from Region 822.
        >
        > Geomagnetic activity forecast :
        > The geomagnetic field is expected to be quiet to unsettled.
        >
        > Recent significant solar flare activity :
        > None

      • space1weather
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 16, 2005
          --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Doran"
          <narodaleahcim@a...> wrote:

          > Once it dropped over 500 you start to see the powering thunderstorms
          > and the organization of Gamma. Of interest is that there was
          > formation in the W. Pac too.

          Do you mean over or under 500 km/sec Mike? The over would be nice if
          you want some down the road intensification. This would most likely
          disturb the magnetic field and then we would see a rise in the > 2 MeV
          electrons.

          This is why you can see an increase in the earth's electrical
          environment even when solar eruptions are absent. (Besides the GCR
          influence of course)

          The IMF is always in contact with the earth's geomagnetic field and it
          will at least shake things up every sector boundary change.

          Jim
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 23, 2005
            Yes Jim that is confusing. I mean as you pointed out if the wind is
            at 500 or better the wind tends to slow activity and if under 500,
            which it was, it tends to increase the chance of formation. There
            was a SIGNIFICANT 35 k strike event and that clearly caused the high
            pressure area around Bermuda to grow and that seems to push the low
            region over land but a few days later it STILL emerged and formed
            Gamma and that storm has been a killer over Central America, even as
            it stalled and caused the ocean to completely lose local carbination
            causing the storm to peter out.

            --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, space1weather