Re: Major solar flare!

  • space1weather
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7 6:24 PM
      > 07-Sep-2005 1740Z X17.0
      >
      > YOWZA!!

      My thoughts exacty. Hard to believe we are this far away from maximum
      and this occurs. My solar - pole theory regarding their magnetic field
      strength seems to be holding up. We may get a good light show when it
      rotates into a better position if the flaring keeps up. BYW keep an
      eye on the tropics.

      Jim
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7 8:18 PM
        > My thoughts exacty. Hard to believe we are this far away from maximum
        > and this occurs. My solar - pole theory regarding their magnetic field
        > strength seems to be holding up. We may get a good light show when it
        > rotates into a better position if the flaring keeps up. BYW keep an
        > eye on the tropics.
        >

        > Jim

        The sunspot region in question, 808 (formerly known as 798) stirred up
        the pot last time around. It's apparentlt still active! There won't
        be an Earth-directed CME, though. The sunspot is just now peeking
        over the eastern limb. Things could get downright interesting next
        week, though.