Major solar flare!

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2005
      07-Sep-2005 1740Z X17.0

      YOWZA!!
    • space1weather
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2005
        > 07-Sep-2005 1740Z X17.0
        >
        > YOWZA!!

        My thoughts exacty. Hard to believe we are this far away from maximum
        and this occurs. My solar - pole theory regarding their magnetic field
        strength seems to be holding up. We may get a good light show when it
        rotates into a better position if the flaring keeps up. BYW keep an
        eye on the tropics.

        Jim
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 7, 2005
          > My thoughts exacty. Hard to believe we are this far away from maximum
          > and this occurs. My solar - pole theory regarding their magnetic field
          > strength seems to be holding up. We may get a good light show when it
          > rotates into a better position if the flaring keeps up. BYW keep an
          > eye on the tropics.
          >

          > Jim

          The sunspot region in question, 808 (formerly known as 798) stirred up
          the pot last time around. It's apparentlt still active! There won't
          be an Earth-directed CME, though. The sunspot is just now peeking
          over the eastern limb. Things could get downright interesting next
          week, though.