Re: Solar Activity Report for 8/11/05

  • space1weather
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 25 7:46 PM

      > Even a blank sun can have a coronal hole make an appearance, as
      we've
      > seen, so I'll assume they were around during the Maunder Minimum.
      > Then again, there was obviously something odd happening to suppress
      > the sunspots to such a degree for a long (from our perspective)
      period
      > of time, so who knows?

      Well I would tend to think you are right at first but if you think
      about it for a second we are only going by what has occured the past
      few decades.

      The poles are strongest towards minimum and they can wax and wane
      almost throughout the whole cycle except for the short stint right
      after solar minimum and during the rise towards maximum.

      If the sun is extremely quiet than the poles have to be also....or
      at least out of character from what they have been behaving like for
      the past few decades.

      Almost everything... flares, c-holes, sunspots , geomagnetic
      storming...etc... follow the polar changes.

      Could they pop up everywhere like you mentioned? I don't know...
      maybe....but in a way they do already...with sunspot regions and
      coronal holes. I could not disregard any theory with what little we
      know about it. I seem to recall a similar theory regarding the
      earth's magnetic flip..although different.

      Jim