Re: Sunspot cycle intensity trend.

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 21, 2005

      > Well froma sunspot trend you are right but when you consider solar
      > eruptions..energtic flares ...geomagnetic activity...I do not know.
      >
      > This last one was a dud sunspot wise but look what we saw X-ray wise
      > with the 10/03 flares and then this past January with the strongest
      > proton flare since October 89'.
      >

      > Jim

      I remember the 10/89 flare. Aurora were visible in Charlotte, NC.
      Interestingly enough, solar scientists didn't even know there was any
      such thing as a CME until the first sun-watching satellites were
      launched in 1970 (I think). Cycle 20, which peaked around 1969, was a
      fairly weak one. I'll bet the Apollo astronauts are glad of that.
      Walking on the surface of the moon is not a good place to be if a
      sunspot decides to get nasty.