Re: Shy Elf

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 11, 2005
      --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Doran"
      <narodaleahcim@a...> wrote:
      > Shy Elf wrote #18 and 19:
      >
      > "I'm sorry, but this post seems mostly incoherrent to me, and the
      > link to growing crystals in DMSO solutions hardly seems relevant, but
      > you do raise some interesting points. The solar wind, since it is
      > charged, compresses the Earth's magnetic field and also interacts
      > directly with cosmic rays, and greatly lowers the amount which reach
      > the Earth. When it is low, there will be more cosmic rays stopping in
      > the statosphere, where they form the nuclei of water droplets. This
      > results in more heat-trapping stratospheric clouds, and more
      > hurricanes. This effect has probably become much smaller in modern
      > times, since our stratosphere is now so dirty with jet exhaust."

      He's right about the solar wind-cosmic ray-cloud connection, but from
      what I've read, he may have the thermal concequences backwards. The
      increased formation of mid and low level clouds makes for a better
      mirror, and the net effect is one of cooling...not warming. The
      timing of the Maunder Minimum and the Little Ice Age is too close to
      be a coincidence, but what was the mechanism? Was it lower overall
      solar energy output, more clouds, or both?
    • space1weather
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 11, 2005
        Mike,

        I would tend to agree with David. I think he got it wrong. It's the
        low level clouds and their albedo that reflect it back out. There by
        cooler temps...Been reading your stuff. Trying to do to many things
        at once. Also trying to just sit back and think about everything. It
        helps some times.

        BTW not to sure if you ever saw my posts at Storm2k about these two
        papers. They are gems.

        Tinsley's

        "Influence of solar wind on the Global electric circuit and Infared
        effects on cloud microphysics,temperatures, and dynamics in the
        troposphere"

        http://www.utdallas.edu/dept/physics/Faculty/tinsley/Tin_rev.pdf

        Boberg and Lundscedt

        "Solar wind electric field modulation of the NAO: A correlation
        analysis in the lower atmosphere"

        http://sunspot.lund.irf.se/NAO_article2.pdf

        Jim