Shy Elf

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 11, 2005
      Shy Elf wrote #18 and 19:

      "I'm sorry, but this post seems mostly incoherrent to me, and the
      link to growing crystals in DMSO solutions hardly seems relevant, but
      you do raise some interesting points. The solar wind, since it is
      charged, compresses the Earth's magnetic field and also interacts
      directly with cosmic rays, and greatly lowers the amount which reach
      the Earth. When it is low, there will be more cosmic rays stopping in
      the statosphere, where they form the nuclei of water droplets. This
      results in more heat-trapping stratospheric clouds, and more
      hurricanes. This effect has probably become much smaller in modern
      times, since our stratosphere is now so dirty with jet exhaust."

      "Deep North Atlantic slighly INCREASES global SSTs by decreasing the
      depth of the termocline in the upwelling regions, hence decreasing
      the ocean's heat content, resulting an a net increase in emission of
      energy by the ocean."

      The point is not growing crystals in the specific DMSO solution but
      rather growing crystals in a DC field. A DC field again, is a field
      where there are relative positive charges on one side and negative
      charges on the other and the super cooled droplet is inbetween. DMSO
      is a polar ion, which means in solution there will be a migration and
      or movement of the chemical inside the droplet relative to the DC
      field. Other ion solutions will exact simalar movements. Indeed
      rainwater has a number of ions in solution and has a pH of about 5.6--
      and certainly the spray of a tropical storm will contain even greater
      ion counts from the salts that get dissolved in the spray. As these
      droplets become super cooled, their morphology is impacted impacted.
      This is the CLEAR and UNREFUTED result in the China paper. I suspect
      that the experimenters used DMSO merely because of its biological
      properties, such as it is permiable to cell walls, and hence if used
      as a perservative for tissues that are super cooled, the whole tissue
      would be protected by both the chemical and electrical properties of
      it. There is nothing to prevent the same morphology changes for
      other ion solutions--and that's my point. DNA, for instance, is an
      ACID (D N ACID). Same with RNA (R N ACID). This gets to the early
      gaia cloud macrobiosphere and sorting of nucleotide complex, which
      garnered design and complexity that I have been writing about. The
      evidence of this is overwhelming.

      There was a paper written recently and published in Nature about the
      cloud cover during the 9/11 grounding of jets across the CONUS. I
      have actually emailed with the author, but he wasn't interested in
      what I am doing. Anyway, the paper showed that the contrails
      increase cloud cover. But there is a big difference between a
      patternless, diffused input into climate and an ORGANIZATION of
      clouds per large scale electrical features. The problem with space
      weather is the earth's magnetic field takes particles and moves them
      to the closing isobars of the earth's magnetic poles, whereas high
      energy light would have an impact on ozone more toward the tropics.
      High intensity solar events thus have a more complex meaning than
      just heating up the atmosphere--there are specific organizations
      related to space weather.

      The nuclei theory suffers equally from the same problem--the nuclei
      are not organized and a tropical storm is an organization of
      electrical fields and baratropical patterns. Cosmic ray inputs are
      again how the balance of capacitive couplings occur an dpattern cloud
      microphysics.

      As far as thermohaline movements, the clouds are far more important
      and the clouds are impacted by upwelling in two ways. First, the
      colder the SSTs the more resistive the waters--about a percent
      increase in resistance per drop in SSTs. That's why hurricane
      frequencies decrease as SSTs drop. But counterintuitively, the
      upwelling brings nutrients to the surface for microbial activity and
      that impacts, increases conductivities. That's why the ENSO models
      based only on ocean temperatures are poor performing.

      BTW, for some reason my first post schematic drawings were partially
      deleted:

      IONOSPHERE

      ..........-..............-
      ...........\............/
      ............\........../
      .............v .......v
      ..............^......^
      ...............\..../
      ................\../
      ................+.+
      .- -----><----- + - + -----><----- -
      ..................+
      ..................|
      ..................|
      ..................v
      ..................^
      ..................|
      ..................|
      ..................-

      TROPICAL OCEAN SURFACE

      ..........+..............+
      ...........\............/
      ............\........../
      .............v .......v
      ..............^......^
      ...............\..../
      ................\../
      ................-.-
      + -----><----- - + - -----><----- +
      .................-
      .................|
      .................|
      .................v
      .................^
      .................|
      .................|
      .................+

      Ionosphere Ocean Capacitive Coupling above Eye:

      ............................+..-..+
      ............................|..|..|
      ............................|..|..|
      ............................v..v..v
      ............................^..^..^
      ............................|..|..|
      ............................|..|..|
      ............................-..+..-

      Later this tropical storm season I will point out specifically from
      an IR shots relative to high strike levels where the displacement
      currents are impacting the cloud microphysics. It is quite clear in
      some of the shots, particularly if there are multiple mesovortices
      visable in IR and you can see IR details INSIDE the eye.
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 11, 2005
        --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Doran"
        <narodaleahcim@a...> wrote:
        > Shy Elf wrote #18 and 19:
        >
        > "I'm sorry, but this post seems mostly incoherrent to me, and the
        > link to growing crystals in DMSO solutions hardly seems relevant, but
        > you do raise some interesting points. The solar wind, since it is
        > charged, compresses the Earth's magnetic field and also interacts
        > directly with cosmic rays, and greatly lowers the amount which reach
        > the Earth. When it is low, there will be more cosmic rays stopping in
        > the statosphere, where they form the nuclei of water droplets. This
        > results in more heat-trapping stratospheric clouds, and more
        > hurricanes. This effect has probably become much smaller in modern
        > times, since our stratosphere is now so dirty with jet exhaust."

        He's right about the solar wind-cosmic ray-cloud connection, but from
        what I've read, he may have the thermal concequences backwards. The
        increased formation of mid and low level clouds makes for a better
        mirror, and the net effect is one of cooling...not warming. The
        timing of the Maunder Minimum and the Little Ice Age is too close to
        be a coincidence, but what was the mechanism? Was it lower overall
        solar energy output, more clouds, or both?
      • space1weather
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 11, 2005
          Mike,

          I would tend to agree with David. I think he got it wrong. It's the
          low level clouds and their albedo that reflect it back out. There by
          cooler temps...Been reading your stuff. Trying to do to many things
          at once. Also trying to just sit back and think about everything. It
          helps some times.

          BTW not to sure if you ever saw my posts at Storm2k about these two
          papers. They are gems.

          Tinsley's

          "Influence of solar wind on the Global electric circuit and Infared
          effects on cloud microphysics,temperatures, and dynamics in the
          troposphere"

          http://www.utdallas.edu/dept/physics/Faculty/tinsley/Tin_rev.pdf

          Boberg and Lundscedt

          "Solar wind electric field modulation of the NAO: A correlation
          analysis in the lower atmosphere"

          http://sunspot.lund.irf.se/NAO_article2.pdf

          Jim