    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2005
      ** Aurora Watch In Effect **

      It wasn't the strongest solar wind blast we've seen by a long shot,
      but solar wind speeds in the 500 km/sec range coupled with a
      persistent south-pointing interplanetary magnetic field have caused
      G-3 (strong) geomagnetic storm conditions within the last 24 hours,
      and also some aurora, as can be seen here from this picture taken in
      Alaska.
      http://www.spaceweather.com/aurora/images2005/30may05/takasaka1.jpg .
      The active conditions are now subsiding, so I wouldn't expect to see
      any wideapread aurora displays tonight, also some aurora in the high
      latitudes is possible. On the heels of this most recent coronal hole
      is another one that has rotated into view, and should be in an
      Earth-pointing position by the 2nd of June. Look for the solar wind
      gusts to arrive here at Earth along about the 5th.

      IMF Orientation : 0.2 nT North

      GOES-12 Background X-ray Flux level : B1

      Conditions for the last 24 hours :
      Space weather for the past 24 hours has been strong. Geomagnetic
      storms reaching the G3 level occurred.

      Forecast for the next 24 hours :
      Space weather for the next 24 hours is expected to be minor.
      Geomagnetic storms reaching the G1 level are expected.

      Solar activity forecast :
      Solar activity is expected to be very low to low.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be quiet to active with minor
      storm periods possible on 31 May. Conditions are expected to abate
      until a possible weak coronal hole high speed stream will move into
      geoeffective position on 02 June.