Fleming's right hand rule and the ITCZ

    Message 1 of 1 , May 14, 2005
      http://www.s-cool.co.uk/a-/phy-/elect_induction-/a-phy-
      elect_induction-elect_induction_files/image027.jpg

      Fleming's right hand rule is shown here.

      This rule, for instance, explains why the warming in the Peninsula
      region of the Southern Ocean differs from the cooling in the
      circumpolar regions. It's all about direction of a moving conductor--
      in this instance, the oceans.

      And if you weren't able to follow my discussion about the QBO and
      Camille and Tip, then consider Fleming's LEFT hand rule and that the
      mechanical direction of the conductor explains the orientation of
      currents and the magnetic fields involved. Flips indeed occur, and
      since we are talking about such kinds of forcings, we can then talk
      about control devices, including designer.

      Let's define the right hand rule:

      Thumb = direction of movement

      First finger = field direction

      Second finger = induced conventional current

      In the case of his Right Hand Rule, the second finger (the bird
      finger) is the important one. It shows the direction of the induced
      current (conventional current) if you are moving in the thumb
      direction through a magnetic field in the first finger direction.
      That current vector is of POSITIVE current.

      You have to remember that:

      The Left Hand Rule is for the motor effect (it tells you what force
      will be produced on a current carrying conductor in a field).

      The Right Hand Rule is for the generator effect (it tells you in what
      direction a current is induced in a conductor moved through a
      magnetic field).

      Equatorial Currents in the tropics as moving conductor. These are
      moving conductors, as salt water is moving on the surface of the
      oceans.

      Tropical Pacific. The North and South Equatorials move from east to
      west and the Equatorial countercurrent inbetween those currents moves
      from west to east. This comes into play when describing the ITCZ, or
      the inter tropical convergence zone for those unfriendly with
      tropical vernacular.

      There is some tricky parts, however. For instance, the earth's north
      pole is not a magnetic north pole.

      A compass points to the north pole but does indeed have a north pole
      pointing at the earth's geometric north, yet, opposites attract, so,
      therefore, what the bar magnet in your compass is pointing at is the
      magnetic SOUTH pole of the earth, which itself is behaving like a bar
      magnet. And as I said, the current is POSITIVE. That is,
      conceptually, the finger points to a positive current flow.
      Electrons, or negative charges, would go the other way.

      So, here is the first question to appreciating the capacitive
      couplings in the tropics and the ITCZ. What is the sign and direction
      of electrical current at the equatorial counter current from
      induction through the earth's magnetic field using Fleming's right
      hand rule?

      Magnetic north on earth is to the geographic SOUTH or towards you on
      a map on the table with geographic south nearest you. So when you
      apply Fleming's right hand rule you point your finger to the south
      pole. The moving conductor runs east with the counter current
      equatorial in the Pacific. That means that the direction of
      electrical current flow from induction of the movement of the counter
      current against the earth's magnetic field is a vector down into the
      ocean. The next trick is that this follows the traditional definition
      of electrical current flow, namely positive terminal of the battery
      to the negative terminal. That is, it is looking how POSITIVE current
      flows as opposites attract. The difficulty is that when you are
      talking about electrons movement, it is the other way. Okay? So the
      vector into the ocean is positive ions, and the electrons are
      actually a vector UP out of the ocean.

      Now, why is that important here? Mmm? Because the ionosphere is
      relatively POSITIVELY charged from lightning strikes around the
      world, and that means that between the warm and conductive tropics,
      where the counter current exists, and the ionosphere, there is a
      relatively intense capacitive coupling which makes it difficult for
      clouds and heat trapping ice to form per the China paper. This, for
      those not following, describes the ELECTRICAL mechanism of the ITCZ!
      The earth's magnetic field can move as much as 40 km in a single day,
      and there is paleo evidence of magnetic shifts of several degrees a
      day in hardening lava millions of years ago. That's fast enough to
      actually SEE on your compass. The movement of field and currents are
      related to one another, so that cloud and strike behaviors which
      react to the earth's magnetic field can also cause it, which presents
      an easy way to relate back to the biosphere and modulation.

      For instance, with my recent conversation with an oncologist I
      described the symbiotic relationships of early earth whereby
      radiation and chemistry would have damaged nucleotides. The problem
      is in the modulation of the earth's magnetic field, the biosphere may
      PURPOSELY 'damage' itself by such radiation or harmful chemistry--
      then form symbiotic relationships with it--in order to bring about
      the EMF modulation required.

      ========================

      35K plus strike event pictured above resulted in 91 INVEST!

      First large strike levels of the season as seen real time at
      http://www.lightningstorm.com (over 33k).

      I noticed early today that the strike pattern moved from a NW to SE
      or even a N to S pattern to what I call the hydrate field to hydrate
      field pattern, just over the Mississippi delta and just over the
      Carolinas . . . and our hot season is starting now here in Redding
      California--like a clock after extremely heavy rains for a week. And
      sure enough, here comes 91L!

      http://tcweb.fnmoc.navy.mil/tc-bin/tc_home.cgi

      Also 96W.INVEST is now up.

      2LT question?

      The question is--to what degree would you expect the organization and
      heat of a northern hemisphere tropical feature to run NORTH in order
      to obey the laws of thermodynamics. Namely law number two. For
      those of you who don't follow directly, here is a good starter link:

      http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/seclaw.html#c4

      Now, I make the assumption that yesterday's 35k plus strike event in
      the CONUS started a local 'organization', if you will, of tropical
      convection. The waters in the tropics even this time of year are
      fairly warm and the capacitive couplings required by the China paper
      can exist--the ocean is warm and conductive enough. While usually
      this does not result in a full blown cyclone there this time of year--
      for this we should wait another couple weeks, this region is a
      starting point for convection that crosses over Central America into
      the EPAC and indeed the EPAC season gets underway in May. And
      clearly, the WPAC season is on now, too--it's really year round.

      Anyway, here is what I think. I think that INDUCTION plays a huge
      role here, and I know that with different times of season the
      ionosphere varies and SSTs and jet patterns vary to determine where
      strikes occur that power storms and where conductive pathways exist,
      and so forth. However, once the storms get going in the ITCZ,
      induction starts to become extremely important, as these storms tend
      to do better from a 2LT standpoint in the ITCZ as they move WEST.
      That has huge implications electrically, as I have explained per
      Fleming's right hand rule. It would tend to indicate that in the
      counter current regions, or the Equatorial regions, as the cloud
      cover increases and the voltages increase from strikes globally, that
      a westward motion tends to bring about the most capacitive couples to
      cohesively form clouds.

      So, on the one hand while a storm wants to move toward 'disorder', or
      generally north in the northern hemisphere, the system isn't 'closed'
      in the sense that new order is created along the ITCZ by the patterns
      of electrical activity that are occurring.

      As always, as this page indicates, life further confounds our sense
      of the second law, because after 4 billion years, life itself seeks a
      genetic resting place that moves on a much different timescale as
      these thermal and electrical inputs--to a living earth.