Re: [Methane Hydrate Club] Last night's conversation with an oncologist

  • XK
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 27, 2005
      With the internet, the purposes of viruses are pretty random spanning
      from a bored kid in study hall to network testing. The end result is
      the same as what you are talking about: evolution of virus scanners
      and computer security

      >Last night I spent some time talking with an oncologist personally,
      >not professionally, as I am fortunately in good health. We spoke in a
      >relaxed setting. It is more difficult to talk one on one about this
      >material because when you talk orally to someone, there is no chance
      >to weigh your words, edit, and so forth. The discussion began over
      >anti-oxidants and cancer.
      >
      >I am not sure whether I should try to put the conversation to you
      >verbatim, or describe it with my eyes. For fair readers who have
      >been tracking this discussion on a living earth and climate, tropical
      >storm behaviors, you may find our conversation fascinating. But for
      >the reader who is unfamiliar with what the heck I am talking about,
      >they may find a discussion about oncology on a climate bb . . .
      >well . . . crazy. Not relevant. So some explanation is required.
      >
      >Some basics. Oncology is the study of cancer. An oncologist is a
      >cancer doctor. One of the first questions I asked the oncologist was
      >how much time she spent treating patients and how much time she spent
      >in 'research'. Her answer IMHO was typical of doctors today who are
      >good and very busy--that most of her 'research', if you want to call
      >it that is clinical and individual patient driven. IOWs, she spends
      >a great deal of time thinking, researching about her individual
      >patients and their cancer.
      >
      >What I asked the oncologist was if she was familiar with the debate
      >over design and evolution. Her response was I suppose expected. An
      >oncologist would deal with death all the time, with families in their
      >grief, and so forth. She said that design was a religious question.
      >I said, no, that's not what I was talking about. I am not talking
      >about religion. I was asking a 'scientific' question, making a
      >scientific point--about design. I asked her, specifically; what
      >about cancer is part of design? I said, for example, what is the
      >greater purpose of a virus? A virus and a host cell do not seem to
      >share a common goal, or purpose. The virus destroys a cell in order
      >to exist--you would think that after 3 billion years of evolution
      >that the host cell would get the message and off the virus. Why is a
      >virus part of design? What good, symbiotically, is a virus to a
      >cell?
      >
      >So the same question, I asked, about cancer. What about cancer is
      >part of design? If you know the purpose of cancer, you can
      >appreciate what cancer IS and it's design function, you can treat
      >your patients better.
      >
      >Then I tried to explain that question better.
      >
      >I explained about my brother doing DNA research. How electrophoresis
      >works, and how that ties in to cloud microphysics and abiogenesis.
      >The idea is that with DNA, you can sort out individual sequences by
      >putting a sample in a gel and putting a voltage potential on the gel,
      >with a cathode and an anode creating a static field. The nucleotide
> [...]

      http://swezlex.com
      aim: wallrall
      "Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk
      badly." -Plutarch