Nuts & Volt article

  • narodaleahcim@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 20, 2005
      Here is a discussion from 'Nuts & Volt' magazine, the September 2004
      issue:

      In an electrical storm, a storm cloud is charged like a giant
      capacitor. The upper portion of the cloud is positive and the lower
      portion is negative.

      Like all capacitors, an electric field gradient exists between the
      upper positive and lower negative regions. The strength or intensity
      of the electric field is directly related to the amount of charge
      build-up in the cloud. The charge is created by colliding water
      droplets.

      As the collisions continue and the charges at the top and bottom of
      the cloud increase, the electric field becomes more intense — so
      intense, in fact, that the electrons at the earth's surface are
      repelled deeper into the earth by the strong negative charge at the
      lower portion of the cloud. This repulsion of electrons causes the
      earth's [and ocean's] surface to acquire a strong, positive charge.

      The strong electric field also causes the air around the cloud to
      break down and become ionized (a plasma). A point is reached (usually
      when the gradient exceeds tens of thousands of volts per inch) where
      the ionized air begins to act like a conductor. At this point, the
      ground sends out feelers to the cloud, searching for a path of least
      resistance. Once that path is established, the cloud-to-earth
      capacitor discharges in a bright flash of lightning.

      Because there's an enormous amount of current in a lightning strike,
      there's also an enormous amount of heat. (In fact, a bolt of
      lightning is hotter than the surface of the sun.) The air around the
      strike becomes super heated — so hot that the air immediate to the
      strike actually explodes. The explosion creates a sound wave that we
      call thunder. Some say that lightning strikes like this in the early
      days of the Earth led to the creation of life. Cloud to ground
      strikes are not the only form of lightning, though. There are also
      ground to cloud (usually originating from a tall structure) and cloud
      to cloud strikes. These strikes are further defined into normal
      lightning (discussed above), sheet lightning, heat lightning, ball
      lightning, red sprite, blue jet, and others that are lesser defined.
      For more information on lightning, check out http://scie nce.howstuff
      works. com/lightning.htm

      The connection to the China paper is the next logical step in
      conceptualizing the baro electrical behaviors. Recall that the
      DIELECTRIC constant of water is about 80 times that of air.
      Therefore, you have in general a capacitive fields and then
      discharges--that move accordingly, and, significantly, exist relative
      to cloud microphysics behaviors on the edges of storms. That's due
      to the fact that the capacitive fields can't run through the clouds
      that convection itself formed--so the most intense fields--which
      change microphysics behaviors, are along the edge of the clouds.
      There, super cooled water droplets MUST form with dramatic asymmetry,
      competing against nearby symmetrical formations in the water
      protected mass of formed clouds. This causes the cloud mass to
      relatively rise and the leading edge to relatively fall, or subsist,
      with the phase change energies relatively added to the clouds and
      taken from the edge. Of course, if the field is less of an edge and
      more of a point, you start to see some of the baro electrical
      construction of a tornado.
    • narodaleahcim@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 20, 2005
        Trailer parks are interesting to EMF gaia
        from the standpoint that most trailers are made of metal sheets which
        make wonderful capacitive surfaces and aid in the coupling mechanisms
        above described. Many have talked about how tornadoes are 'attracted'
        to them--and certainly it is a combination of the parks having less
        ability to withstand the winds of severe weather, but at the same
        time, trailer parks have pattern about them that provides a mechanism
        for danger.

        Another Indian 'myth'
        is that a tornado will not cross a river. It stands to reason, also,
        from a capacitive coupling standpoint, that the river is going to
        have a relative conductive meaning to the bottom 'plate' that is
        formulated or organized in a 'line' as opposed to what the tornado
        has, organizationally, coming into that configuration--namely a point
        or a circle of opposing charges forming the feild under which the
        cloud microphysics are impacted. A river would support more of
        a 'frontal' organization . . .

        This goes to show that good substantive science is also about
        observations of things. Of course, Indians don't practice science--
        they are pagen!