    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2005
      ** Aurora Watch In Effect **

      The earth is inside of a high speed coronal hole solar wind stream,
      and G-2 geomagnetic storm conditions have been observed with in the
      last 48 hours, and G-1 goemagnetic storm conditions within the last
      24. The solar wind speed has been flirting on and off with the 700
      km/sec mark. An aurora watch remains in effect, and skywatchers in the
      higher latitudes should keep an eye out. The elevated solar wind
      speed is expected to last until the 10th, when it should start slowing
      down. There are now three small sunspot regions visible, and for now,
      none of them look to have the ability to generate a significant flare.
      The background X-ray flux, however, has been steadily rising,
      indicating that at least one of the sunspots is becoming more active.
      This might bear watching over the next few days.

      IMF Orientation : 0.2 nT North

      GOES-12 Background X-ray Flux level : B1

      Conditions for the last 24 hours :
      Space weather for the past 24 hours has been minor. Geomagnetic storms
      reaching the G1 level occurred.

      Solar activity is expected to be very low to low.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be unsettled to active with minor
      storm periods possible at high latitudes on 09 March. On 10 March,
      conditions are expected to be mostly unsettled as the coronal hole
      high speed stream rotates out of a geoeffective position. On 11 March,
      conditions are expected to be quiet to unsettled.

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 8, 2006
        Well, depending on whom you ask, we're either at solar minimum, at the
        beginning of solar minimum, or months away from it. Here's what we do
        know. 21 of February's 28 days were sunspot-free. According to
        Spaceweather.com, that marked the beginning of solar minimum. It
        should continue for several more months. However, I read a story
        today about how the solar minimum may be a year away, and that the
        next solar maximum may be a doozy!

        http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/space/03/07/solar.storm.ap/index.html

        If the article is correct, the solar minimum is a year away, and the
        ramp-up for cycle 24 is going to be late in coming. The problem with
        that is you can't argue with the numbers and it's sort of hard to get
        less than zero, which is what we saw during a large part of February.
        Personally, I think we're going to start seeing the sunspot numbers
        rise by the end of the year. Time will tell.

        There's nothing really noteworthy to report in the way of current
        activity, so I'll just go straight into the current conditions.

        SFI : 72 (I'll be interested to see if this drops below 70)

        Solar wind speed : 361.6

        IMF Orientation : 6.3 nT North

        GOES-12 Background X-ray Flux level : A0

        Solar activity is expected to remain very low.

        Geomagnetic activity forecast :
        The geomagnetic field is expected to be quiet to unsettled for the
        next three days. Isolated periods of active conditions are possible
        due to a favorably positioned coronal hole.