    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2005
      ** Aurora Watch In Effect **

      G-1 geomagnetic storm conditions have been observed within the last 24
      hours. The solar wind speed is a bit elevated, and the density is
      higher than I've seen it in awhile. I suspect that the Earth is
      beginning to move inside of a coronal hole solar wind stream.
      Geomagagnetic storm conditions are expected to occur on and off
      through the next few days, and an aurora watch is in effect. People
      in the higher latitudes should keep an eye to the sky, especially
      around local midnight. For reasons not thoroughly understood,
      geomagnetic activity tends to be higher around the time of the
      equinoxes, and we are approaching the vernal equinox. There is a
      single sunspot region visible, but it doesn't look to have the ability
      to generate a significant flare for the time being.

      IMF Orientation : 0.8 nT South

      GOES-12 Background X-ray Flux level : A4

      Conditions for the last 24 hours :
      Space weather for the past 24 hours has been minor. Geomagnetic storms
      reaching the G1 level occurred.

      Forecast for the next 24 hours

      Solar activity is expected to be at very low to low levels throughout
      the period.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to range from quiet to minor storm
      levels during the period. A recurrent high speed coronal hole stream
      is expected to become geoeffective beginning on 6 March. The coronal
      hole effects are expected to last for several days. Periods of
      isolated minor storm conditions are possible on 7 March. Predominantly
      unsettled to active conditions are expected on 8 March.