Plant a tree, save a village

  • narodaleahcim@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2005
      This morning I took a walk and went over a bridge and looked down to
      the rotting reeds from last year. They were still standing, some were
      bent over, but they were brown and dead. The only 'life' remaining in
      the creek is the seeds left in the mud--near the remains of
      the 'dead' reeds. It is too early in the winter for the new reeds to
      start growing. Anyway, these 'dead' reeds where causing mud to not
      wash away as rapidly with the winter rains causing the creek to rush
      strongly. The point of this observation? What is life? Is a hydrate
      field alive? A hurricane? A virus? How does the biosphere 'design'
      itself and for what purpose? How does a reed come to 'rest' as a
      seed?

      This week there was more debate in climate bbs about the so called
      hockey stick--with the fake skeptics calling on the Little Ice Age. I
      don't doubt there IS a LIA cycle--just that a Midevil warm period's
      next appearance isn't for another 1,100 years. During the last peak,
      tropical mollusks thrived in the Canadian Maritimes, where the waters
      NOW are WAY too cold for them. There were fires and soot deposits out
      here in the West. Let me explain. If the oceans are warmer and more
      conductive, with summer thunderstorms the Pacific High is going to be
      HUGE and the dry season will be longer out here. Tropical storms in
      the Atlantic would have been steared differently by the Bermuda High
      and other places of sustained coupling between a higher charged
      ionosphere and ocean. Patterns of biological conductivity in the
      oceans would have varied, too. But there are zones of much longer
      climate sustained biologically by the hydrate fields in the GOM, GOC,
      off the NW coast, and off the Carolina coasts. These regions are very
      much like the dead reeds in the creek in terms of what they mean for
      long term climate.

      So that's the context for this:

      quote:
      On Dec. 26, as the killer tsunami struck down thousands of people and
      homes in Tamil Nadu state, the casuarina and eucalyptus trees that
      had been planted to appease the weather gods saved the lush green
      village of Naluvedapathy.

      Of the nearly 8,000 people who died in the state, including 6,000 in
      one fishing village, only seven were from Naluvedapathy.

      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6880818/

      They planted the trees to invoke the rain gods.